Other new releases -- 2/2011

Started by eschiss1, Monday 03 January 2011, 05:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerhard Griesel

After searching high and low I managed about a year ago to get hold of R Strauss' PCs in a box set of his music: EMI Classics RS Orchestral works: a set of 9 CDs (conductor Kempe). CD No. 2 contains his Burleske (pianist Frager), Parergon zur Sinfonia Domestica Op. 73 and his Panathenaenzug Op. 74 (pianist Rosel). This particular CD is such a favourite of mine that I made a copy of it should anything go wrong with the original. I have to agree with FBerwald that I struggle to warm up to the Reger PC, and that it would be interesting to hear Hamelin's take on Strauss. However, for people who haven't got Strauss' PCs yet, the box set may be a cheaper option.

albion

CPO have repackaged their three Franz Lehar orchestral discs together with a 'bonus' disc containing three piano sonatas (http://www.crotchet.co.uk/7776392.html). The UK release is scheduled for the end of January.  ;D

eschiss1

Reger's piano concerto is not among the works of his I listen to on a regular (er, frequent?) basis either - but then I prefer his chamber music anyway, with the organ music coming in after that. I do enjoy the violin concerto, sinfonietta, variations sets, and among the orchestral works, especially (especially after listening to it and checking the score at the library - would that I'd done both at once more often, but... erm. :) - while working on an MPH preface for it) the Symphonischer Prolog zu einer Tragödie. (Immersion tending either to produce love or revulsion, you might say. In this case closer to love, I think. Had similar experiences with other works I had to write about - writing about the orchestration of Schoenberg's first chamber symphony for example. )
Actually, the Prolog is about as dense as I remember the piano concerto being last time I listened to the latter, but made more and more sense as a 3-group sonata form (the groups divided by dynamics and manner etc. since they were internally so modulatory to begin with, rather than by main key as in the historical sonata movement (an argument inspired by Schoenberg that I'd already made in aforementioned preface) that I might- I don't know...- be able to make more sense of the concerto if I were to listen to it today- and I think I shall give a try... (I think I have a recording on hand here...)- pardon meandering thought.
Eric

Jonathan

I'm looking forward to the Reger CD - I already have the piece in an ancient recording by Rudolph Serkin with fairly harsh sound so a nice clear one would certainly be worth a listen!  I used to listen to it regularly along with the Symphonic Prelude which I used to really like too but again I've also not listened to that recently either.
Maybe I should put in the car for next weeks commute?

Slightly OT - I have been listening to Reger's Clarinet sonatas on Naxos recently and they are excellent!

Alan Howe

Quote from: Jonathan on Sunday 16 January 2011, 15:40Slightly OT - I have been listening to Reger's Clarinet sonatas on Naxos recently and they are excellent!

Oh good! I was given them for Christmas by my daughter and haven't listened to them yet!