Mendelssohn / Moscheles - Fantaisie & Variations on a theme by Weber

Started by FBerwald, Tuesday 23 July 2024, 17:38

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Hyperion has just posted on their website, one of their October releases - an album delectably titled "Unplayed Stories ... in 40 Fingers"
40-fingers" border="0

Pieces include:
Felix Mendelssohn & Ignaz Moscheles - Fantaisie & Variations on a theme by Weber MWV O9 [2 pianos & orchestra]
Ignaz Moscheles, arr. Tomer Lev & Aryeh Levanon - Les Contrastes 'Grand Duo' Op 115 [4 pianos! & orchestra]
Franz Liszt & Franz Schubert, arr. Alexander Tamir - Große Fantasie 'Wanderer' S366 [2 pianos & orchestra]
Franz Schubert, arr. Ernst Pauer - No. 3 & 6 from 6 Grandes Marches D819

MultiPiano Ensemble, Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin, Ivor Bolton (conductor)

terry martyn

I must apologise if what I am about to write is controversial and harsh, and it is just my personal opinion,after all.

I am really disappointed  in this CD, and I normally wouldn't dare say this about something produced by Hyperion.. I have no complaints about the performances of soloists or orchestra.  But,what is the point?  The Mendelssohn/Moscheles combination did not result in anything memorable,the arrangement of Moscheles never came to life,and the less said the better ,in my opinion,about the other two arrangements. 

Perhaps I should have sampled before buying, as it comes across as  some kind of advertising gimmick for the MultiPiano Ensemble.  But I can't help feeling that many hands do not necessarily make light work.

Maury

Quote from: terry martyn on Monday 30 September 2024, 16:11Perhaps I should have sampled before buying, as it comes across as  some kind of advertising gimmick for the MultiPiano Ensemble.  But I can't help feeling that many hands do not necessarily make light work.

Mr Martyn,

I have to make the same comment I made in the HIP Bruckner thread. Look at the CD cover more closely. "Unplayed Stories .. in 40 Fingers. First recordings of works for multiple pianos and orchestras ...."

That is the entire point of this (marketing) exercise.

Mark Thomas

QuoteI must apologise if what I am about to write is controversial and harsh, and it is just my personal opinion,after all.
There's absolutely no need to apologise, Terry. It's a perfectly valid opinion which you have expressed in very temperate language, I must say. We're under no obligation to like anything...

Alan Howe

kolaboy

I would love to see a video of how exactly 6 pianos plus orchestra are coordinated. Seems I recall reading about a Czerny polonaise/piece for 8 pianos...

TerraEpon

Quote from: kolaboy on Tuesday 01 October 2024, 01:12I would love to see a video of how exactly 6 pianos plus orchestra are coordinated. Seems I recall reading about a Czerny polonaise/piece for 8 pianos...

Gottschalk wrote a couple pieces for 16 (!) pianos and orchestra, and one for 13, though they are lost.
There IS an extant piece for three pianos, 10 hands, and orchestra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRMWF5BdLJs

Richard Moss

It reminds me of the multi-piano version of Liszt's Hexameron I came across a few years ago.  I'll have to dig it out and see how the extra pianos make any difference to say the single piano version in Hyperion RPC volumes of Liszt's Piano & Orchestra works.  (I'll probably get the download as I'm  a sucker for unusual recordings!)

Cheers

Richard

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThere IS an extant piece for three pianos, 10 hands, and orchestra:

Yes, and remarkably dull it is, too. And I speak as someone who really loves Gottschalk's music.

terry martyn

The old LP of Gottschalk's works for piano and orchestra still delights.  Perhaps the most deliciously over-the-top piece is the Variations on the {former} Portuguese National Anthem.  Without having my copy in front of me,I recollect that that was the only one on that recording that Gottschalk actually orchestrated himself.

Gareth Vaughan

Agree completely. And didn't he write a work for piano and orchestra which involved canon aswell? Or do I misremember?

terry martyn

I fear,in contrast, that this new Hyperion CD remains resolutely earthbound.