News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Recording of Raff's Samson

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 01 October 2021, 08:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

The problem seems to be that distributors aren't interested in 'small' labels. As for, say, MusicWeb, they only publish a few reviews Monday to Friday, so let's wait and see...

It's a matter of real concern that an inferior opera release such as Le Prophète gets international distribution while the first recording of Samson remains confined to distribution by Schweizer Fonogramm and jpc. It's a scandal - and it's not the label's fault. The other distributors don't know what they're missing...

John Boyer

"Fanfare" and "American Record Guide" are primarily print magazines, so there can be a long lead time between the magazine receiving the disc and the appearance of the written review.  With ARG I recall the lead time was at least three months. 

Alan Howe

Yes, quite. Gramophone's not all that quick either, although they miss an awful lot of stuff anyway.

Gareth Vaughan

Gramophone are completely useless. I tried repeatedly to get them to review the disk I released of Valentina Seferinova playing the Grand Sonata (2nd version), the Trois Pieces, Op. 2 and Fantaise-Sonate by Raff, which Mark very generously helped sponsor. After much badgering they listed it (late) on their new releases page  but as a re-release (!!!!) not a completely new recording. And they never reviewed it. They were phenomenally incompetent and unhelpful. They have an absurdly high opinion of themselves and are terrible snobs.

Jonathan

Slightly off topic, so apologies but Gareth, did you ever try contacting International Piano?  They might have been a better bet?

That said, 20 years ago I offered them my discography of works by Tausig and a general review of all the recordings of his music and they refused.

Gareth Vaughan

I think I did (can't absolutely remember, to be honest) - but I don't think I got any joy. BBC Music Magazine also ignored the CD.

Alan Howe

Well, let's hope to read a review soon.

Alan Howe

Jonathan Woolf has now posted a very positive and helpful review at MusicWeb:
https://musicwebinternational.com/2024/09/raff-samson-schweizer-fonogramm/

Let's hope this generates more widespread interest in this important release.

John Boyer

That's a very thorough and fair review.

Mark Thomas

Woolf mixes up the third and fourth acts in his description of the opera, but otherwise this is as fair and objective a review of both the music and the recording as one could hope for.

Alan Howe

Is this the first English-language review?

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe