News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dick Kattenberg

Started by jimmattt, Wednesday 04 May 2011, 21:35

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmattt

http://www.allmusic.com/album/w194868

Disc of chamber music by Dick Kattenberg, Dutch composer killed in Auschwitz in 1944 at age of 24, had managed to find protection similarly to Anne Frank, captured in May 1944, killed in September 1944, works somehow survived in family home's attic, about 2 dozen, he was self-taught, sounds like, had he been spared, he would have progressed spectacularly on strength of his chamber music performed by Eleanore Pameijer and the Leo Smit Ensemble. Goddamned Nazi murderers.

eschiss1

no argument on the last just before hearing Kattenberg but after hearing Ullmann, Haas, Krasa, and too many others. (Haven't heard Leo Smit I think but have heard of him and will be trying to get to hear his music, including the symphony and concerto, sometime. Schulhoff a special case though one whose music I also enjoy.)

black

Chamber music by Dick Kattenburg can be heard here on the Concertzender.

jimmattt

On same program mentioned above at Concertzender is Leo Smit's harp and orchestra piece "Schemselnihar". I have thoroughly enjoyed everything by him that I have heard. Concertzender is absolutely interesting to those of interested in the "unsung".