Programming some unsung music

Started by alberto, Wednesday 25 May 2011, 10:06

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

In the next season, on March 2012 the Orchestra Sinfonica "Giuseppe, Verdi", Milano will perform the following program (Piers Lane piano, Wayne Marshall cond.):
-Holst The perfect fool, ballet music
-Ireland Piano Concerto
-Glazunov Symphony n.4 op.48
In my city, Torino, in next July I can attend the following program (Teatro Regio Orch.):
-M.E.Bossi Concerto for organ, strings, horns and timpani
                  Etude Symphonique op.78 (solo organ)
-G.Martucci Momento musicale, Serenata, Minuetto (all for strings orch.)
-E.Wolf-Ferrari Serenade for strings
Again in next july the Radio Italiana Orchestra (Thai conductor Trisdee Na Patalung) will perform, besides Paganini Vn. Concerto 1, Cherubini's Symphony and the same's neglected Concert overture in G Major
Of course the above are exceptions
----------
I would indicate two more programs maybe of interest/curiosity (programs much more easy to arrange, as one is for organ solo, the latter for a  smallish string ensemble).
-Torino 25/6/11 organist G. Piovani
-F.S.Clark English March
-S.S.Wesley Andante in A
-C.King-Hall Canzone
-J.E.West Postlude
-E.Elgar from "Vesper Voluntaries" n.1, 6, 7, 8
-A.Hollins A song of sunshine
-C.V. Stanford Prelude in a form of a Chaconne op.88 n.2
And at last a (shortish) program (aimed also to uninitiated audience, and, so, unsung in the context) that will tour next june some small provincial towns in Torino region (Strings of Orchesta Filarmonica of Torino): 
-Holst St.Paul's suite
-Warlock Capriol suite
-Delius Air and dance
-Britten Simple Symphony
Of course also the two above are not tipical of Italian programming

jerfilm

Not exactly unsung (although perhaps a semi-unsung work) last Saturday the Minnesota did a stunning performance of Rachmaninoff's Third Symphony, Mark Wigglesworth guest conducting.  Never cared much for this piece.  Until Saturday.

Jerry

alberto

Last April I heard the first performance ever in Torino of Rachmaninov Third Symphony. About 4-5  years ago there was the first performance of the First Symphony, while the Second Symphony has been regularly quite often performed.
However as far as recordings are concerned both Rachmaninov First and Third are very well served (if less than the Second).
Just to say something rather obvious : sung (or relatively sung) on record may be unsung in actual concert life.

eschiss1

contexts: concert, vs. recording, vs. radio broadcast (and in each case- which country? where in? ... when? :) )