Kenneth Leighton (1929-1988)

Started by albion, Thursday 05 May 2011, 17:36

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

I've not got round to him yet, but I'm aware that Chandos began a mini-series devoted to Leighton under the late-lamented Richard Hickox (continued in a third volume under Martyn Brabbins), which neatly complemented an earlier Bryden Thomson recording -

The Cello Concerto was a work first heard at the 1956 Cheltenham Festival and the symphonies sound very interesting, especially the large choral No.2. Have any members acquainted themselves with Leighton's music?  ???

Alan Howe

I've been tempted, but never got round to him. Can anyone characterise his music, please?

Lionel Harrsion

I was lucky enough to study with Kenneth Leighton in the early 1970s at Edinburgh.  I should characterise his music as tonally based though chromatic, and rather conservative and intellectually rigorous so far as structure is concerned.  I think his instinctive viewpoint is fundamentally contrapuntal but underpinning it all is a sort of muscular romanticism and the result, however complex it might be, is intensely lyrical.  The only piece of modern music ever to reduce me to tears was a performance in about 1973 of Leighton's Piano Trio op 46 (of which there is a fine performance by Lorraine McAslan (vln) Andrew Fuller (vc) Michael Dussek (pno) on Dutton).  Because of my personal connection I may not be entirely objective but I think his music is both beautiful and significant.

albion

Lionel, many thanks for this heart-felt appraisal: subjectivity is definitely no barrier to appreciation or advocation. The reviews of these discs at musicweb have also been very positive so I think I will simply have to investigate further (i.e. get the card out again).  :)

Alan Howe

Yes, that's a very helpful pointer, Lionel, thank you - and all the better for the personal connection. I'm very grateful. Now, next question: of the orchestral CDs available, where should I start?

jimmattt

Alan, you will NEED them all, now won't you, start with the organ concerto, my favorite, but his symphonies are wonderful, so just get them all, and hope for more.

Alan Howe

I may eventually need them all, but I'd still like to know where to start...

Lionel Harrsion

Alan, personally, I'd start with the Sinfonia mistica but don't take my word for it: 'I cannot do better than urge this new release on all those with ears to hear. For Leighton's Sinfonia mistica is, I humbly submit, indeed a masterpiece.' (International Record Review)

Alan Howe

febnyc

I am happy I did not start with the Sinfonia mistica.  Had I done so I would have given up on Leighton.  I found the work grating and the soprano's voice screechy and hooty - or, perhaps it was the mundane nature of the vocal parts which sounded like "Johnny McDonalds," songs made up on the spot and thrust into the breach.

I could not even get through the entire piece, but shut it down after a couple of movements howled by me.  I would reserve my definition of a "masterpiece" for other things.

Anyway, prior to hearing this disappointing Sinfonia, I was quite partial to Leighton's First and Third, the Piano Concerto and the Cello Concerto.  I think one has to be enamored of the human voice in any aspect to enjoy the Second and this is where I miss the point.