More Rufinatscha from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 21 March 2011, 22:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

No, I don't have any firm news from Chandos about Vol.2 of their Rufinatscha project - yet. But I'm trying to find out...

petershott@btinternet.com

Promise not to pester you, Alan! However!

Chandos have announced, of course, a three volume series. Do you know (or at least believe) whether they are committed to that (in virtue of such things as contractual arrangements with orchestras) and will stick to it come rain or shine, or whether the 'actuality' of Volume 2 is dependent on the success of Volume 1?

I've got no reason for any scepticism here, but there have been a few Chandos projects that have quietly fizzled out (presumably for commercial reasons). Despite not ever having heard a note of Rufinatscha (until approx 15.05 tomorrow on BBC R3 which will be my Rufinatscha baptism!) I'm keeping fingers tightly crossed that the project strides ahead, meets with every success, and puts Rufinatscha firmly on the musical map.

Any why this concern over a composer I've never heard? Well, dammit, from everything I've read about him I just know that this is music I will care about, and probably quite passionately.

JimL

If you want to cheat a little bit, Peter, you can go to the other Rufinatscha and listen to the samples!

Alan Howe

This is the latest news from Ralph Couzens:

<<The next volume of Rufinatscha is programmed for 2012 and will include the Piano Concerto and Symphony 5.>>

albion

Brilliant news, many thanks Alan! The Piano Concerto was the one Tyrol disc I didn't get round to purchasing and so I'm really looking forward to this one.  ;D

Alan Howe

The recording of vol.2 is now scheduled for June 2012.

Mark Thomas

So one assumes that Noseda remains a fan?

Alan Howe