Cornucopia from Steve's Bedroom Band

Started by Mark Thomas, Monday 04 July 2011, 22:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

The indefatigable Steve and his Bedroom Band (clones of Steve I believe!) has added a whole raft of potentially juicy string chamber works to his listing at IMSLP which are new to me at least:

Brandts-Buys: String Sextet, String Quartet
Gernsheim: In Memoriam for string orchestra and organ, String Quintet, String Quartet No3
Herrmann Grädener: String Quartet No.2
Carl Helsted: String Quartet
Mielck: String Quartet
Novacek: String Quartet

There may also be other new recordings of composers who don't particularly interest me

britishcomposer

Mielck and Brandts-Buys at least have been recorded before, I think. Anyway, I have off-air recordings. Esp. B-B is very beautiful!

eschiss1

I know of commercial recordings of almost none of those pieces but may be mistaken (composers, yes- Mielck has had a few works recorded; Grädener's father, Carl, has had one work recorded, Novacek's Perpetuum Mobile used to be pretty well-known- and I think SBB has/have recorded (has, I know, I know) 1 and a quarter Novacek quartets, and 3 of the 5 Gernsheim quartets by now (also, that's Helsted quartet no.5 I think for such as are picky)...

some of those are indeed not especially recent uploads but the Helsted, Richard von Perger no.2 (good piece), Grädener no.2, Perinello's quartet (interesting and I think also pretty good!) , Reznicek3, Rousseau, Alexanian, Gernsheim op91 more or less are... I like his work and have been following closely ;) 

That said, I listened to his arrangement for strings of Ravel's Mother Goose suite yesterday. The last panel sounds like Ravel should have written it for strings.  Beautiful.
Eric

eschiss1

btw, Carl was his middle name, but he was better known as Gustav Helsted.

Ilja

Sorry Eric, different composer. Gustav Helsted (1857-1924) was Carl Helsted's (1818-1904) son. Carl Helsted's father Siger and his brother Edward were also composers.

Mark Thomas

And the Quartet recorded by Steve's Bedroom Band at IMSLP is by Gustav, the son, dating from 1920-something I think.

eschiss1

published or composed in 1922, Gustav's 5th quartet (unnumbered ) according to the listing at Wikipedia, if I understand right. Thanks for the clarification. I've listened to it once so far; the first two movements seem so far rather good, the second pair on a first listen a little less convincing but I think I may well warm to it too, and all four mvts. of this F minor quartet not boring in my opinion...