Mikhail Ippolitov-Ivanov (1859-1935)

Started by albion, Thursday 25 August 2011, 07:14

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Until recently, all I had heard of Ippolitov-Ivanov's music was the Procession of the Sardar from the first set of Caucasian Sketches (1894) - so I thought I would explore a little further. He was clearly not a one-work wonder: there is some really lovely music on this well-programmed Naxos disc (especially the impressive Turkish Fragments) -

and I've also been listening to another fine recording which, luckily, does not duplicate the same repertoire -

This is colourful stuff, very much from the Rimsky-Korsakov stable, and all highly enjoyable - think Glazunov in his more oriental moments!

:)

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I mostly know the symphony from its earller recording on Marco Polo. Enjoyable stuff! Looking forward to hearing his string quartet, piano quartet and violin sonata, some of which, I think, have been recorded...

JimL

I keep on thinking that I saw somewhere that he also composed a violin concerto.  Do I have him confused with someone else?

Alan Howe

Lyapunov? (Although there is a violin sonata).

JimL

I have the Lyapunov VC.  I could have sworn I saw a MP CD of an Ippolitov-Ivanov VC in the bins at the old defunct WeHo Tower Classical Annex pre-2006.  Maybe it was the sonata...

albion

Ippolitov-Ivanov didn't write any concertos, largely confining himself to orchestral suites (6 in total, the last three unpublished), although his Sinfonietta, Op.34 (1902) is an arrangement for large orchestra of the Violin Sonata, Op.8 (1895). Interestingly he was one of several prominent composers (including Saint-Saens) who wrote music to accompany early silent films.

:)

Greg K

Quote from: JimL on Thursday 25 August 2011, 17:06
I have the Lyapunov VC.  I could have sworn I saw a MP CD of an Ippolitov-Ivanov VC in the bins at the old defunct WeHo Tower Classical Annex pre-2006.  Maybe it was the sonata...

My guess is you're thinking of Cesar Cui's VC  ("Suite Concertante") - issued on an MP CD.  The Violin Sonata I believe is on Olympia.

JimL

Think you may be right.  I may have mnemonically conflated the MP CD of the I-I Symphony 1 with the Cui Suite Concertante (now coupled with the Rubinstein VC on Naxos).

vandermolen

There is a very nice Marco Polo CD of his music (not the Symphony or Caucasian Sketches).  I tried to upload the picture of the CD but it kept coming out blank! The CD includes 'From Ossian's Songs and the Armenian Rhapsody - my favourite Ippolitov Ivanov CD - much as I like the Caucasian Sketches (both suites) and the Symphony.