News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Joint Compositions

Started by Peter1953, Thursday 20 October 2011, 13:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Every member knows the Hexaméron (1837, by Liszt, Chopin, Czerny, Herz, Pixis and Thalberg).
A lesser well-known, but most enjoyable joint composition is the FAE Sonata for violin and piano (1853). The 1st movement is composed by Dietrich, the 2nd & 4th by Schumann and the 3rd by Brahms. The work is dedicated to their mutual friend Joseph Joachim, the bachelor (until May 1863) whose maxim was Frei, aber einsam (FAE, free but lonely).

Any other examples from the Romantic era?

eschiss1

quite a few from the Belyayev circle, for starters.

albion

Whilst both students at the Royal Academy in the 1830s, George Alexander Macfarren and William Sterndale Bennett collaborated on a single movement Piano Concerto, which, according to Henry Banister (1892) "is now in the possession of Mr James Sterndale-Bennett, by whose kindness I have been permitted to examine it, and am able to trace the several portions of the movement to their respective authorships".

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have survived.

alberto

The ballet "La source" by Delibes and Minkus.
There should have been also, in the ballet field, collaborations between Drigo and Minkus (and, I suppose, many others by more obscure masters).
For me important , still in the ballet field, but outside the Romantic era "L'eventail de Jeanne" (Ravel, Roussel and Les Six: composers not always of friendly terms).
Still outside the romantic era "Les marieès de la Tour Eiffel" (Les Six).
And the "Mount Juic" suite for orchestra by Britten and L.Berkeley.
"Romantic" (up to a certain extent) is the collective "Yellow river concerto".

Amphissa

I'm at work, so this is off the top of my head.

Variations on a Russian Theme by Glazunov, Lyadov, Rimsky-Korsakov and a couple of other composers who I don't remember.

Rimsky-Korsakov and Glazunov collaborated on orchestrating Mussorgsky's Songs and Dances of Death.

I seem to remember that Mendelssohn and Moscheles collaborated on a concerto for two pianos. Was it called Fantasy Variations or something like that?

More modern, Variations on a Theme by Goosens by Copland, Bloch, Creston, Harris (and others?)

alberto

Sorry: misprint.
About "L'eventail de Jeanne" i meant "composers not always ON friendly terms".
Another beyond Romantic era: "Variations on Sellinger's Round" by Oldham, Tippett, L.Berkeley, Searle and Walton.

alberto

Truly romantic: "Messa per Rossini" (1869) by:
-A Buzzolla
-A.Bazzini
-C.Pedrotti
-A.Cagnoni
-F.Ricci
-A.Nini
-R.Boucheron
-A.Platania
-L-Rossi
and Giuseppe Verdi.
There is a Haenssler 1989 recording by Helmuth Rilling.

alberto

Sorry.
In "Messa per Rossini" the previously forgotten Carlo Coccia takes his place.

TerraEpon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music_written_in_collaboration

I think that speaks for itself (and feel free to add and correct anything, as it is Wikipedia after all)

albion

They've missed that chart-topper by Macfarren and Sterndale Bennett, I see, along with virtually every single musical comedy written between 1892 and whenever musical comedies were finally pensioned-off (but I suppose that they would count, retrospectively, as 'popular music' anyway ???).

::)