Subtle movements in orchestral works, causing emotions

Started by Peter1953, Tuesday 06 October 2009, 17:12

Previous topic - Next topic

swanekj

Quote from: mbhaub on Thursday 08 October 2009, 00:36
For me, the 2nd movement of Bloch's Symphony in C# minor is an emotional tear-jerker. Gets me everytime. Of course, the all-time biggest emotional moments come from the Elgar 2nd -- near the end of the second movement, and the coda of the last. Puts a lump in the throat if the conductor knows what he's doing.
I drive one of my terribly ill cats to be euthanized to the Elgar, and cried like a child.

JimL

The slow movement of Schumann's 2nd doesn't move me nearly as much as the end of the 4th movement where he reworks the introduction from the 1st movement into a climax that is both triumphant and tragic.  It can bring tears to my eyes.

X. Trapnel

Dukas, Symphony in C slow moverment, Baudelairean melancholy, exiled from paradise and longing for return but finding beauty in irridescent earthly meeting point of water and sky.

malito

Franz Schmidt's 4th symphony adagio.  If I play it once, I will play it two more times in the same playing...just drives me to tears.  The aforementioned Kalinnikov symphonies as well, the epilogue of the Miaskovsky 25th...so many more!  Malito

TerraEpon

About as sung as it gets, but one of my favorite moments in music /anywhere/ is the flute solo in the coda of the exposition of the first movement of Dvorak's 9th (phew). Something about that spot just makes me....well.../verklempt/.

FBerwald

The second movement of Robert Hermann's Symphony No. 1 in C major op. 7 (1895) is wonderful. Pastoral with a touch of melancholy.

X. Trapnel

In the spirit of sung/unsung I remember my near agony on hearing the slow movement of original version (Hickox) of the Vaughan Williams 2nd in which the great climax, that Turneresque (or Blakean?) vision of the Celestial City over earthly London doesn't occur. Despite the fascination of that version and my own passion for RVW I've never been able to listen to it again.

Honegger 4th slow movement, especially the lyrical passage emerging out of that strange undulating figure somewhere past the mid-point.

Alan Howe

Just a gentle reminder: Honegger 4's outside our revised remit...

alberto

I would choose two movements from Suk's Asrael Symphony : the Andante (second: a ghostly funeral march) and the Adagio (fourth- expression of private grief not over-impassioned).

Martin

Adagio - the 3rd part of Rachmaninoff's Symphony no.2 is deeply moving and atmospheric piece of music. Apart from its melodic values there's very precise construction of the musical motives. Wide, increasing climaxes, broad melodic lines - the outstanding work.