Czerny works on Doremi

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 31 December 2011, 03:20

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Just got back in, had a look at MDT. (What? :) ) Was very pleased to see the premiere recording of two of his 20-odd (yes, he did indeed) string quartets among other works on a CD called Carl Czerny: Rediscovered Genius.

Looks neat.

Mark Thomas

Definitely the first must-buy of 2012!

Alan Howe

edurban

Looking forward to those Brilliant Variations on a Theme of Bellini for piano, six hands!

:)

David

eschiss1

Correction on the point of string quartets - well, maybe correction - absent a list of his unpublished works, anyway... I think I know of 4 different ones -
#In C minor republished by Amadeus-Verlag in an edition by (the indefatigable?) Bernhard Pauler in 2006
#A quartet the Library of Congress has listed as "Quartetto No.28" in A-flat major dated 1851
#The two on that recording, in D and E minor.
If these are all different works, they all once existed (the no.28 one might have been lost after all for all that the catalog entry still exists- that happens), and nothing is misprinted, then that accounts for four quartets, one claiming to be the 28th (if, again, not a misreading or a misprint etc.) But it was on that quartetto no.28 title, not on a list, that I based my assumption, always a less safe title (especially since it may be a misreading etc., just as "11" is sometimes a misreading of the Latin for "2"... though what in this case, I don't know, really.)