Parry, Composer of the Week

Started by albion, Friday 10 February 2012, 11:25

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Next week (13th - 17th February) Hubert Parry will be Composer of the Week on Radio 3 (12 noon, repeated each day at 6.30 pm).

:)

Jimfin

Wow, good news! Any works we are hoping will be broadcast? Maybe Judith or Saul?

albion

Quote from: Jimfin on Friday 10 February 2012, 11:32Wow, good news! Any works we are hoping will be broadcast? Maybe Judith or Saul?

Although there are no detailed listings as yet, the chances of anything substantial being specially recorded are pretty remote.

The following works are mentioned (not in itself a guarantee of inclusion) in the summary narrative description for each episode -

1. Parry is Spurred on by Wesley - Crossing the Bar; Fantasia and Fugue in G for organ; Nonet; Symphony No.1

2. Parry Goes into Insurance - More fond than Cushat Dove; What voice of gladness; Charakterbilder; Piano Trio No.1; Concertstuck

3. Parry and the Birth of Modern English Music - Violin Sonata in D major; Prometheus Unbound; Blest Pair of Sirens; Guenever; Symphony No.3

4. Parry Becomes Director of the Royal College of Music - Blest Pair of Sirens [sic]; Dear Lord and Father of Mankind (adapted from Judith); Job; The Frogs; Hypatia; Invocation to Music; Symphonic Variations

5. Parry is Nearly Sunk by a Warship - Jerusalem; I Was Glad; English Lyrics; Symphony No.5; Songs of Farewell

Almost without exception, these will undoubtedly be sourced from commercial recordings or broadcasts already represented in our archive, but it would be good to hear something from The Frogs.

Then again, Donald Macleod is one of the few decent presenters left on Radio 3 these days and he always makes the programmes interesting.

:)

Jimfin

Oh well, nice that this music will reach a wider audience than usual, I suppose.

Jimfin

And thank you very much for the detailed listing!

Alan Howe

'Composer of the Week' usually features excerpts from longer works - so a good overall view of a composer can be gained. However, look elsewhere for broadcasts of complete longer works as the programme is only one hour long each day.

eschiss1

Parry is spurred on by Wesley...

Ok, I'm just pottering about in a small land, but I find myself hoping you're just making that one up.

Jimfin

According to the Dibble biography, he was a great admirer of S.S. Wesley, finding him more adventurous than his teachers, but then that wasn't saying a great deal at the time, with figures like F.A.G. Ouseley and Prout around.