Next batch of Dutton releases

Started by BFerrell, Wednesday 09 May 2012, 17:51

Previous topic - Next topic

BFerrell

Alan Howe

Many thanks for the heads-up. Any hints as to repertoire?

BFerrell

Not determined quite yet. I will relay when received. I know that the notes about D'Erlanger are being written. Also, this month in Glasgow, they will begin recording Volume 1   of the complete  Alan Bush symphonies.  That's all for the moment.

Dundonnell

Presumably one will be the David Matthews Symphony No.7 which was recorded last July by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra under John Carewe. Dutton will also be recording  Matthews's "Dark Pastoral" for cello and orchestra (an extension of the fragment of the Vaughan Williams Cello Concerto) with Guy Johnston and the RSNO under Martin Yates at the end of May. I don't see them having the time to get that onto the same disc but who knows?

Dundonnell

Good to hear that Dutton are going for the complete Alan Bush symphonies :) Nos. 1 and 2 deserve a better performance than they got from Bostock and his students(worthy though that Classico cd was). No. 3 will be expensive ::)

M. Henriksen

A Chadwick disc with Keith Lockhart conducting (discussed on this forum) could be a possibility. There has been a recording session in march..

Morten

Alan Howe

Many thanks for all this information. Very encouraging.

J.Z. Herrenberg

As I posted elsewhere - at the end of this month Martyn Brabbins will be recording, for Dutton, Brian's Symphony No. 13, the Violin Concerto (with Lorraine McAslan) and English Suite No. 4.

Gareth Vaughan

The piece by Bush I'd really like to hear is the piano concerto.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 09 May 2012, 22:31
The piece by Bush I'd really like to hear is the piano concerto.

The performance in our archive here isn't at all bad :)

Jimfin

With Lorraine McAslan and Tamsin Little the unsung British violin repertoire is getting some fine treatment these days, isn't it?

JeremyMHolmes

This is great news about the new Brian CD - I hope this new series on Dutton maintains its momentum and plugs the gaps of unrecorded symphonies and other orchestral works. It will be interesting to compare the new recording of the Violin Concerto with the earlier Marco Polo one, now re-released on Naxos.

Dundonnell

Quote from: JeremyMHolmes on Thursday 10 May 2012, 13:03
This is great news about the new Brian CD - I hope this new series on Dutton maintains its momentum and plugs the gaps of unrecorded symphonies and other orchestral works. It will be interesting to compare the new recording of the Violin Concerto with the earlier Marco Polo one, now re-released on Naxos.

Can I respond to this post in the Havergal Brian/Dutton thread ??? :)