What are the top Da Capo recordings?

Started by John H White, Friday 08 October 2010, 21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilleries

I also recommend the JPE Hartmann! Both the CD with the Symphonies and the one with overtures.
I just received two cds from Emil Hartmann today and haven't had a chance to hear them. I also recommend Weyse's Symphonies, full of energy, wonderful music from the 1795-1805 era!

Hilleries

Ok, having now heard Emil Hartmann's violin concerto, I also recommend him wholeheartedly!

reiger

Highly recommended is DaCapo's excellent disc of "Music Inspired by Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales," with works by Finn Høffding, August Enna, C.E.F. Weyse, Poul Schierbeck, J.P.E. Hartmann, and Louis Glass.

bulleid_pacific

I don't have the reservations about Ludolf Nielsen that others seem to have.  He can be a bit prolix but he can certainly write good tunes and lush harmonies and sometimes that's enough when I'm not in the mood to concentrate too hard.  However, the cpo disc of the second symphony IS better.  I also endorse the comments about the Hamerik symphonies - no real duds there - and I love Langgaard too although he sometimes stretches the romantic remit of this forum rather far.... Symphony 11 "Ixion" is simply insane, quite apart from being about the shortest "symphony" I know - quote marks very intended!!