News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Beethoven's unsung quartets

Started by Balapoel, Tuesday 04 September 2012, 02:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Balapoel

Is it permissable (as it was in the past) to refer to unsung works by sung composers? If so, then my query is this. Does anyone have any information on 6 Quartets by Beethoven, WoO Anhang 2? They do not appear in Thayer's life of beethoven, nor Grove's. If they are spurious, any ideas on their author?

This is what I have:

Anh. 2, 1   HA07, 1   II-44#1      String Quartet in C, Anh. 2, no. 1 (spurious) movement 1 only
Anh. 2, 2   HA07, 2   II-44#2      String Quartet in G, Anh. 2, no. 2 (spurious) movements 2-3 only
Anh. 2, 3   HA07, 3   II-44#3      String Quartet in Eb, Anh. 2, no. 3 (spurious)            
Anh. 2, 4   HA07, 4   II-44#4      String Quartet in F, Anh. 2, no. 4 (spurious)            
Anh. 2, 5   HA07, 5   II-44#5      String Quartet in D, Anh. 2, no. 5 (spurious)            
Anh. 2, 6   HA07, 6   II-44#6      String Quartet in Bb, Anh. 2, no. 6 (spurious)            

Somewhere I picked up 3 mp3 files (almost certainly of midi realizations): String Quartets in C and G.

In terms of Beethoven's unsung, I highly recommend the reconstruction of his WoO 131 Erlkönig - available from Brilliant Classics (also on youtube).

Alan Howe

No problem at all with this thread. Can anyone help?

eschiss1

What I believe may be a description of Anh.2 no.6 in B-flat, with one incipit, based on a manuscript copy at Monumento Nazionale di Montecassino, Biblioteca Montecassino, can be found here at RISM. Though if so the conclusion in a G major movement (the 5th movement, Canone) is odd... (perhaps a 6th movement is missing- no idea who wrote it anycase. Anyone know enough quartets by enough late Classical composers- Vanhal, say- to hear tweaks-of-style (to compare and contrast to these works when and if one can hear them, I mean...)? They are there, sometimes...

will see if I can find those MIDIs of the two quartets you refer to- I think I may even know the site. at the least, I'd like to hear them anycase. thanks.

Balapoel

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 04 September 2012, 03:21
What I believe may be a description of Anh.2 no.6 in B-flat, with one incipit, based on a manuscript copy at Monumento Nazionale di Montecassino, Biblioteca Montecassino, can be found here at RISM.

Hmm. Original title: Quartetto per due violini | viola e violocello [!] | di | [...] Bhaetonen [!] | Flauto [!]
a google check for 'Bhaetonen' produced exactly 1 hit...

From the recordings, the C major Allegro appears typical of late 18th century quartets (as do the other movements), but the G major Adagio seems sparse in texture, rather homophonic, ala Haydn's earlier quartets, with the first violin presenting most of the melodic line.

And after a quick check, it seems the Adagio for the G major quartet is an actual live recording (with audience applause at the end). The other two appear still (to my ears) to be Midi.

eschiss1

Re Bhaetonen, that could also be someone's attempt to transcribe a difficult-to-read manuscript? It's hard to say what the ? means just offhand (one trouble I had when typesetting a manuscript was deciding how to distinguish "?"s I wanted to put in, that resulted from different kinds of uncertainties in e.g. transcription among other things, of which there were many- and of course from "?" that just meant "this is exactly what it says, I just don't know what it means" :) . Spend two minutes seriously studying a music manuscript of any inclarity... well, twenty minutes... :)

A minor example can be found from this, from RISM and signed to a copy of some Buxtehude preludes and fugues - "Presented to Mr Chas. C. Mellor / by H. Rohbock / March I. 1874. / this piece came in my possession 1833 / from Gottfried Moeller, a pupil of / Kittle. the piece is said to be a M. S. / of the composer Boxtehude. / H R." -  to which I (Eric, I mean) can only think- ok, Kittle I get... Boxtehude I - sort of get. (Rohbock is probably Henry Rohbock, a friend of Charles "Chas." Grobe among others and a composer himself.) (Johann Gottfried Moeller/Müller : 1774-1833, organist.