News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Boise Symphony

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 07 August 2012, 13:11

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

...is his symphony (performed in 1877 or so) lost?

Mark Thomas

I didn't now that he'd written one, Eric. Interesting, but I can find no reference to it anywhere. Do we know where the Boise papers are now held?

kyjo

Like Mark, I never knew Boise wrote a symphony. Is his PC extant ????

Mark Thomas

Yes it is - see this post and what follows.

kyjo

eschiss1

His symphony is mentioned a few places, including an issue of Dwight's Journal of Music (in February 1879- something about how they- at Peabody - had heard his symphony 2 years ago and were soon going to hear his piano concerto...) and in a brief biography elsewhere. He was the head, I think, of  the Johns Hopkins Peabody School/Music Dept. for a number of years and the symphony was performed there possibly around 1877.  Their library has several of his works in manuscript including the piano concerto, though not, I think, the symphony.

His wife, Anastasia "Annie" Virginia Boise (née Stockley - they married in 1869), was often called on to make English translations of songs, opera libretti, etc. for publishers (as "Mrs. O.B. Boise".) One of their daughters, Annabel, married Howard Brockway (the same as has been mentioned elsewhere in these fora...) (but died in 1901 I think, predeceasing both parents- her father died in 1912, her mother was still alive in 1922.)

kyjo

Very interesting, Eric. It often seems like many composers have family connections with other composers (Boise's daughter marrying Howard Brockway, who is also a composer whose PC I'd like to hear) :).