News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Concertos for Orchestra

Started by Dundonnell, Monday 10 October 2011, 22:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

if we're counting concerti grossi (which aren't the same as concertos for orchestra even in definition- they divide the orchestra into a ripieno and a concertino section, which is not how a "concerto for orchestra" is conceived generally, which is a work in which the orchestra is all soloists at various times, more or less; this would not apply to the ripieno section of a Concerto Grosso, which is basically a concerto with a large section of soloists, a predecessor of the modern concerto for soloist(s) and orchestra (itself also an instrumental outgrowth of the vocal Baroque aria, but that's a related but other tale), that would probably be someone about four centuries before. Therefore the first post of the thread is still important...

Rainolf

Yes, the definition is the problem with Kaminski's Concerto. He said, that he chosed the title to avoid the term "symphony". In fact, there is no division between Ripieno and Concertino there, but between two seperate orchestras. But they aren't used as contrasting groups. He combines the individual voices from the two orchestras in many different ways. So this work couln't be described as a Concerto grosso in the baroque definition. But is isn't realy a Concerto for Orchestra in the sense of eg. Bartok's work. (NB: It's a pity that there is no commercial recording of Kaminski's orchestral works, he was a genius!)

eschiss1

Have seen a few of Kaminski's works (besides the string quintet and quartet) (and of Hans Koessler's, another name that comes to mind at the same time) - am certainly very curious...

albion

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 11 October 2011, 16:20
I think we should include *****'s exhilarating ***** and possibly the ***** as well.

:-X

Disregarding the rules of the thread, I can contain myself no longer - and heartily recommend Malcolm Arnold's Philharmonic Concerto (1976) and Concerto for 28 Players (1970).

;)

Dundonnell

I have absolutely no issue with you recommending these two works by Malcolm Arnold :)

The whole topic is fraught with difficulty regarding nomenclature ;D

alberto

In1940 Bruno Bettinelli (1913-2004) composed a Concerto for orchestra in three movements.

JollyRoger

Quote from: alberto on Sunday 16 October 2011, 17:49
In1940 Bruno Bettinelli (1913-2004) composed a Concerto for orchestra in three movements.
IMHO, Bettinelli is a grand voice, unjustly ignored and unknown by most folks..
Unfortunately most of his music suffers from poor audio as it predates better technology, re-recording his music would be a godsend..
Is there any posted here at unsung?

eschiss1

The only Bettinelli works I've heard, I think, have already come out on CD, so can't help here. (He's actually been fairly well-served on CDs if one counts smaller labels, e.g. his 4th concerto for orchestra on a 1991 Ricordi (publisher) CD; his sinfonia breve conducted by Bernstein reissued on a 1991 (again) Ricordi CD ; a Naxos (Italian Naxos maybe?) 2011 guitar CD ; Missa brevis on Sarx on 2001 , other choral works on Sarx...

Paulp

A few additions to the list:
Paul Patterson has done 2 Concertos for Orchestra, no.1 in 1981, and no.2 in 2000
Steven Stucky has done a Second Concerto for Orchestra in 2003 (A Pulitzer Prize winner, I believe)
Arnold Cooke did one in 1986
The 10th and last of Maxwell Davies' Strathclyde Concertos is for orchestra alone, if I remember correctly.
Gunther Schuller has done 3 Concertos for orchestra to date (the 3rd, "Farbenspiel" [1987] was recorded in Louisville)
Skrowaczewski also did one not too long ago.
And I gather Christopher Rouse has done one just a couple of years back.

rbert12

Some more from my collection, pre-1981:

Raymond Chevreuille 1947 (¿first belgian?)
Alan Hovhannes (at least 8 concertos for orchestra, from 1951, as I have records from 1, 7 and 8)
Yorgo Sicilianos 1961 (¿First greek?)
Sophie-Carmen Eckhard-Gramatté 1961 (¿First canadian?)
Antón García Abril 1972 Concerto for Orchestra Hemeroscopium (Sorry, its against the rules but I wanted to add one from Spain)
Julien-François Zbinden 1977

Christo

Yes, I found two Dutch additions to the catalogue:

1959 Hans Kox, Concerto pour orchestre - possibly the first CfO in the Netherlands then
1982 Henk Badings, Concerto for orchestra

... and a third one:

1960 Berend Giltay, Concerto per orchestra

reiger

Marc Neikrug's Concerto for Orchestra had its world premiere by the New York Philharmonic in April 2012.