Pippa passes by Frederick Corder

Started by alberto, Monday 30 May 2011, 10:59

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Tuesday 07 June 2011, 16:48
Quote from: ahinton on Tuesday 07 June 2011, 10:34
The thread title as presented here does look almost as though it is intended to convey the notion of someone called Pippa ignoring Mr Corder by passing by him...
Perhaps she didn't like the look of him! :o

Not really every girl's dream, I suppose!  ;)

ahinton

Quote from: Albion on Tuesday 07 June 2011, 17:04
Quote from: Lionel Harrsion on Tuesday 07 June 2011, 16:48
Quote from: ahinton on Tuesday 07 June 2011, 10:34
The thread title as presented here does look almost as though it is intended to convey the notion of someone called Pippa ignoring Mr Corder by passing by him...
Perhaps she didn't like the look of him! :o
And you could hardly blame her, really!

Gareth Vaughan

Nevertheless, one would still like to locate Mr Corder's manuscripts.

eschiss1

albion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Tuesday 07 June 2011, 17:34
Nevertheless, one would still like to locate Mr Corder's manuscripts.

Two further orchestral scores by Corder are a Tragic Overture and Scene d'Amour, both conducted by the composer at Bournemouth in January 1902. It is unclear as to whether or not these were in fact first performances, but the same concert also included his Roumanian Suite (1887).

These two works have been added to the list earlier in the thread.

:)

albion

Frederic Corder's son Paul (1879-1942) would potentially be another composer worth investigation, if only his manuscripts survive and can be located. A pupil of his father at the RAM, Paul Corder was himself appointed a Professor of Composition and Harmony in 1907. A fellow-student of Bax, Holbrooke, Dale and Bowen, he was the dedicatee of Bax's Symphony No.4.

According to a listing by Rob Barnett he composed a number of substantial scores -

Opera: Rapunzel and Grettir the Strong (one act), both in manuscript;

Ballet: several including The Dryad, a pantomime ballet;

Choral: A Song of Battle for chorus and orchestra; A Song of the Ford for male voice chorus and orchestra;

Vocal: Four Sea Songs for baritone and orchestra (Hell's Pavement; The Turn of the Tide; The Emigrant; Captain Stratton's Fancy); The Moonslave, a terpsichorean fantasy; A Song of the Bottle; Spanish Waters;

Orchestra: Two Sketches: Sunset and Sunrise; Tone Poem, Pelleas and Melisande; Overture, Cyrano de Bergerac; Gaelic Fantasy, Morar (also for two pianos; 1908, RAM Patron's Fund concert); Dross, a music drama without words (Anglo-French Music); Preludes to Acts I and II, Rapunzel (Proms, 14 Sept 1915); Violin Concerto; Five Orchestral Tone Pictures: Along the Seashore: 1. The Ebbing Tide; 2. The Sea Cavern; 3. Seagull's Rock; 4. The still hour of dusk; 5. The Call of the Sea;

Chamber: String Quartet; Fountains for viola and piano;

Piano: Transmutations of an Original Theme; Nine Preludes (RAM Patron's Fund concert, Aeolian Hall, 6.12.1904); Three Studies; Passacaglia; Romantic Study; Heroic Elegy; Spanish Waters; An Autumn Memory

but according to Graham Partlett -

(Jessica Morton) knew the Corders when she was very young and told me the distressing news that Paul's sister, Dolly, with whom Paul lived, was so distraught when he died that she destroyed his musical manuscripts. I've certainly made occasional attempts to trace some of the orchestral pieces but without success, and I fear it may be true, which means that only the few published works survive. Paul and Dolly moved in 1921 to Looe Island, Cornwall, which they had bought from the proceeds of the sale of Frederick Corder's collection of first editions. In 1932 they moved to White Cottage, Netley Heath, Surrey. After his death in 1942, Dolly moved in 1957 to Littlecot, Jefferies Rd. W. Horsley, Surrey, and she celebrated her 90th birthday on 30 June 1968 (but I'm not sure when she died).

:'(

albion

Here is a selection from Paul Corder's set of Nine Preludes (1904), played by Phillip Sear -

No.3 (F minor) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU7oFwB2SkY

No.6 (E minor) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bHUR7arirg&feature=relmfu

No.8 (C major) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isouDoOo3rw&feature=relmfu

The full set was recorded in 1990 by Alan Cuckston -

SWINSTY FEW 118CDr

albion

Quote from: Albion on Friday 07 October 2011, 12:08Here is a selection from Paul Corder's set of Nine Preludes (1904), played by Phillip Sear

All nine of Paul Corder's Preludes are now in the archive, performed by David Owen Norris, courtesy of mikehopf.

Gareth Vaughan

QuotePaul's sister, Dolly, with whom Paul lived, was so distraught when he died that she destroyed his musical manuscripts

What a phenomenally stupid and self-centred woman, indulging her grief in that wholly selfish and destructive way. Really, I have no time for such people.

albion

The full score of Corder's Elegy for Twenty-four Violins and Organ (1910) has made it to IMSLP - http://imslp.org/wiki/Elegy_for_24_Violins_and_Organ_%28Corder,_Frederick%29#IMSLP234308.

This extraordinary work is certainly an impressive achievement and it would be fascinating to bring it to life in performance.

Jimfin

Corder was also that rare thing: an opera composer who wrote libretti for other composers (especially for Mackenzie). The only other example I can think of is Menotti, who wrote the libretto for Barber's 'Vanessa'

alberto

There is also Arrigo Boito (even if composing was not his priority).