News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Les Ruses d'amour/Glazunov

Started by sdtom, Saturday 23 January 2010, 02:45

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

As much as I enjoy Glazunov 19 volumes of material is where I'm going to stop I fear for lack of funds.
Thomas

chill319

My openness to Glazunov scored a major hit when as a kid who felt that post WWI works by  Rachmaninov were not getting a fair hearing, I learned of Glazunov's role in the disastrous premier of R's extremely ambitious symphony 1. I wonder if anyone else had this experience?

Anyway, Serebrier's stunning version of Gliere Symphony 3, his role in the premier of Ives's Symphony 4, and especially Alan's strong response to his renditions of Glazunov have opened my mind again. I'm ordering Glazunov 5.

JimL

Quote from: chill319 on Sunday 31 January 2010, 21:53
My openness to Glazunov scored a major hit when as a kid who felt that post WWI works by  Rachmaninov were not getting a fair hearing, I learned of Glazunov's role in the disastrous premier of R's extremely ambitious symphony 1. I wonder if anyone else had this experience?
I had trouble understanding Glazunov's motivation for sabotaging the premiere of Rach S 1 myself for a number of years until it hit me.  The young Sergei was viewed as competition by Aleksandr.  Evidently, giving your first symphony to someone who may perceive you as a competitor and rival isn't a very sound policy.  There may have been a little more to it than that, too.  I believe that I read somewhere that Glazunov was drunk when he conducted Rach 1, although I never heard that he had a drinking problem to the extent that Arensky did.

sdtom

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 31 January 2010, 23:26
I had trouble understanding Glazunov's motivation for sabotaging the premiere of Rach S 1 myself for a number of years until it hit me.  The young Sergei was viewed as competition by Aleksandr.  Evidently, giving your first symphony to someone who may perceive you as a competitor and rival isn't a very sound policy.  There may have been a little more to it than that, too.  I believe that I read somewhere that Glazunov was drunk when he conducted Rach 1, although I never heard that he had a drinking problem to the extent that Arensky did.

I read that Glazunov had a definite problem with alcohol. His relationship remained close to Shostakovich whose father had access to large supplies of alcohol.

edurban

"...I believe that I read somewhere that Glazunov was drunk when he conducted Rach 1, although I never heard that he had a drinking problem to the extent that Arensky did..."

In the alleged Shostakovich memoir "Testimony", Glazunov is portrayed as such a severe alcoholic that he kept a vodka bottle in his desk at the St. Petersburg Conservatory and drank from it through a straw while teaching.  The book, however, is regarded by many as a forgery.

"...I read that Glazunov had a definite problem with alcohol. His relationship remained close to Shostakovich whose father had access to large supplies of alcohol..."

I believe this particular story also comes from Testimony.  Considering the source, it must be treated with care.  Which isn't to say that Glazunov wasn't an alcoholic.  The story about him conducting Rach 1 drunk is an old one that comes from several sources.  As for intentional sabotage, it seems unlikely to me that a man would remain director of a conservatory for almost thirty years if he was on a mission to destroy his students, but strange things happen..  Look at Henselt as teacher...brrrr....

David 

JimL

"As for intentional sabotage, it seems unlikely to me that a man would remain director of a conservatory for almost thirty years if he was on a mission to destroy his students, but strange things happen."

The sauce, my friend, does strange things to a body.

edurban

That's for sure.  I worked in a jazz club for 9 years and the deterioration of the bar regulars in that time was not pretty...

David

FBerwald

Anyway, Serebrier's stunning version of Gliere Symphony 3, his role in the premier of Ives's Symphony 4, and especially Alan's strong response to his renditions of Glazunov have opened my mind again. I'm ordering Glazunov 5.

Apologies in advance!!!! I heard about the story of the disastrous premier of Rachmaninov's Ist symphony AFTER I heard a recording and my opinion of him improved :P The symphony is soooooooo long and ..seriously the Critique by César Cui about IT being " .....a programme symphony based on the story of the Ten Plagues of Egypt...." although very harsh, had some truth, I felt! Of course when I Ist heard the symphony, it was coupled with the Isle of the dead on the CD. And I heard it all in one sitting  :o . Suffice to say I have yet to recover.

Back to Glazunov, He doesn't seem to have been a very good conductor despite Rimsky-Korsakov's assertions, and coupled with a lack of interest (or understanding), and obvious under-rehersal could have all lead to such an unfortunate incident!

Glazunov's No. 5 a powerful work- optimistic and Wagnerian! Listen to the last movement lively with a lot of Syncopations :)

Peter1953

César Cui and his criticism. Don't mention César Cui. What a pitiful creature. What is his contribution to the classical music inheritance? Nothing.
Glazunov may have been an alcoholic, but at least he left us some beautiful music. Something I cannot say of Cui.

FBerwald

when I said ..  "I heard about the story of the disastrous premier of Rachmaninov's Ist symphony AFTER I heard a recording and my opinion of him improved :P" I meant Glazunov. I still cant quite get the Symphony no 1(Rachmaninov) .
As for  Cui I agree that he was a spiteful creature who despised Beetovan and Mozart !!!. I was just referring to his comments . And I absolutely adore Glazunov. I still believe that his Symphonic cycle is the most under-appreciated. Even more so are the seven quartets. I have all of them . The 3rd is a must-hear!!!

TerraEpon

Anyway, Serebrier's stunning version of Gliere Symphony 3,

What? When did he do that (is it a concert?)

sdtom

I guess we'll never know what really happened to Glazunov. Alcohol is a powerful drug that causes severe problems today in Russia. That much I can say.
Thomas

Peter1953

Not only in Russia, Thomas.
I like to listen to Glazunov while I'm drinking a good glass of wine  ;)