News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cameo Classics news

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 09 July 2012, 16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

David Kent-Watson has revealed details of some interesting-looking forthcoming releases:

<<We shall have the Ruth Gipps and Kenneth Leighton (No.1) piano concertos played by Angela Brownridge ready for August 1. We have Jadassohn's Serenade for Orchestra No.3 in D (and hope to complete his Serenades with No. 4 soon), Thieriot's Serenade for String Orchestra op.44, and Cyril Scott's Harpsichord Concerto (end July). A real gem is Dorothy Howell's Piano Concerto, immaculately played in concert in London by Valentina Seferinova, with works by Elkrington, Holbrooke, Vaughan Williams, and Elgar, played by the Orion Orchestra - a good blend of 'Famous and Forgotten' British works for release August. And we released yesterday CC9047CD, a rare entry for CC into Russian territory, the premiere recordings of the Piano Concerto 'Silentium' (sol. Eleonora Bekova) and Violin Concerto 'Angel's Day' (sol. Elvira Bekova) composed by Sergei Zhukov - one for your modernist members - great orchestras too, the Moscow Symphony and Karelia State. The Bekovas have agreed to continue recording for CC and we (Gareth and I) start filming interviews and recording them at the end of the week in Italy. The first for 'unsung' is expected to be Litolff's three Piano Trios, which surpringly have escaped being recorded so far.>>

JimL

The Op. 47 Trio was recorded on LP for Genesis by the Mirecourt Trio.  And a marvelous work it is, too.  I remember it was coupled with the Alkan, Thalberg and Henselt trios.  I think it was re-released on CD coupled with Gerald Robbins' premiere recording of the entire Concerto Symphonique #4.

britishcomposer

Litolff's Piano Trios were at some time scheduled by cpo. The Atos Trio had a look at the works and decided against a recording because they thought the trios didn't represent Litolff at his best. They recorded the Suk CD afterwards (Pno Quartet op 1, Trio op. 2).

Source: Deutschlandradio interview with members of the Atos Trio at the time when the Suk-CD was released.

JimL

What knew they of Litolff "at his best"? ???  The only thing known of him for decades was the Scherzo from CS 4!

eschiss1

I've heard the Litolff first piano trio on the radio several (quite a few I think...) times from that recording and recall enjoying it; I look forward to the new recording. Thanks!

Who knows, maybe they -did- have a Litolff scholar to hand... I _think_ the complete or almost-complete parts of one of his operas (the 1847 Die Braut von Kynast) survive at a library (hrm- Neuenstein library seems to have everything -but- the violin parts if I read that right - the vocal parts I guess one could take from the vocal score... if one could find the violin I& II parts somewhere...) (of course, good luck getting it produced I guess... so unlike some composers, again, there are some orchestral and operatic works of his that may survive in performable shape (well, ok, we knew that already- I meant others...))

Also very glad to hear about the Jadassohn (what 3rd serenade in D? On the offchance they mean opus 47, it's in A... if they do mean opus 47, I'd like to hear it. Score & parts @ IMSLP.)

Gareth Vaughan

Quotewhat 3rd serenade in D?
David has made a mistake. It is the Op. 47 and it is in A.

Jonathan

Ok good - another one for the wishlist!  :)