RPC, Vol. 58 - Pixis & Thalberg ....Finally!

Started by FBerwald, Sunday 05 August 2012, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW

Quote from: Revilod on Sunday 05 August 2012, 16:59
By the way, I've often wondered if Howard Shelley commits all these concertos to memory given that he'll probably never be asked to play them in the concert hall. Surely he must have the music in front of him when he plays...but then, he conducts as well!  Does anyone know?
He's a phenomenon! That's for sure!

I have it on very good authority that he uses piano parts, especially since he's conducting/recording several concerti over his few weeks visiting Hobart. I think he directs some of them at concerts at the time, but I couldn't d/l any relevant program information from the TSO site.

JimL

If he actually performs them in concert, I'm moving to Tasmania!!! ;D

kyjo

Watch out for Tasmanian Devils down there, Jim ;)!

Revilod

Quote from: MikeW on Tuesday 07 August 2012, 12:50
Quote from: Revilod on Sunday 05 August 2012, 16:59
By the way, I've often wondered if Howard Shelley commits all these concertos to memory given that he'll probably never be asked to play them in the concert hall. Surely he must have the music in front of him when he plays...but then, he conducts as well!  Does anyone know?
He's a phenomenon! That's for sure!

I have it on very good authority that he uses piano parts, especially since he's conducting/recording several concerti over his few weeks visiting Hobart. I think he directs some of them at concerts at the time, but I couldn't d/l any relevant program information from the TSO site.

In answer to my own question, here is Mr Shelley thoroughly enjoying himself at the recording sessions for the finale of Hiller's 2nd Piano Concerto in 2007. He has the music in front of him but I'm almost sure it's only the piano score. He looks at it but is obviously playing mostly from memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zI9YzKrD7o