News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Marteau symphony?

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 16 November 2011, 08:08

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

there's no hint* of a symphony by Henri Marteau in Wikipedia or IMSLP's worklist (well, they're basically the same worklists anyway) but one is mentioned as about to be premiered clear as day in a late (September) 1922 issue of Zeitschrift für Musik.  The choice of city immediately strikes one in retrospect as not a good idea here (Dresden) (as it may explain why the work is lost, if it is.) But that begs the question- if anyone is familiar with Henri Marteau's music, have they heard of his first (or maybe only) symphony
(if this mention wasn't just a typo, as happens often in music magazines as elsewhere too) -
and is it in fact lost, was it ever published,
was the manuscript sent to Dresden for the premiere and presumed left there and destroyed sometime in the next decades (e.g.),
some other choice (behind door no.4) ?
Thanks in advance-
Eric

* (ok, yes, there is a hint, because I wrote it in to IMSLP's list after finding this. prematurely, probably. But aside from that.)

jerfilm

1980 Grove lists only a "Sinfonia gloria naturae" for large orchestra, plus the two violin concertos, cello concerto and other misc. works.

Jerry

eschiss1

unless they give a post-1922 date on that, no reason that mightn't be the same work, I believe. Thanks!

jerfilm

Possibly, but Grove gives Marteau the kind of short schrift they seem to give composers with smaller or more unsung outputs.  No listing of works at the end by catagory, only a mention of a few in the actual text which you often have to read carefully to even spot what with the small text and all.....

Jerry

eschiss1

That suggests a thread I will start, oh yes it does. And an annoyed-as-spit thread it will be. But I'll restrain myself for the once...
Though briefly fortunately there are other sources - and fortunately they do mention the Sinfonia, which is either still in existence or whose existence at one point is credited by a reference one can find (and perhaps a small amount of searching may turn up a Marteau monograph or suchlike, as sometimes occurs- even a downloadable PhD dissertation- the sort of resource for which I thank the WWW :) - erm. Sorry again.)

tpaloj

I noticed that BSB has recently digitized the score of Marteau's symphony op.30 "Sinfonia glori naturae". Where/when the manuscript was discovered I have no idea. Maybe it will be of interest to people here even if this thread about it was quite old. The scans are pretty bad: black-and-white plus the resolution is really small. But the work looks complex and interesting.

https://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/0013/bsb00130070/images/index.html?id=00130070&seite=5&fip=193.174.98.30&nativeno=&groesser=200%25

Mark Thomas

There might be some faint hope of a recording, then. Libraries often publish a digital scan of a score after someone has requested (and paid for) one to be made. That someone might be preparing a full score and set of parts ready for a recording. Like I say, a faint hope....