Two unsungs flank a sung composer: a new season in Milano

Started by alberto, Saturday 15 September 2012, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

I would like to point out an innovative season , within the "standard" season of the Orchestra "Giuseppe Verdi" in Milano.
In TEN shortish symphonic programs on Sunday mornings a "major" composer is flanked by two much less performed.
The forum will forgive me -I hope- if i I indicate all the composers, with no period limit (but we end with Korngold and Rozsa):
1) Mozart is flanked by F.X. Richter and Franz Benda.
2) Haydn by Kozeluch and Carl Stamitz
3) Beethoven by Hummel and Salieri
4) Schubert by Clementi and Krommer
5) Ciaicovskj by Arenskj and S.Tanejev
6) Ravel by Hahn and Honegger
7) Bartok by Holst and Canteloube
8) Prokofiev by Casella and Malipiero
9) Stravinsky by Kabalevsky and Gliere
10) Britten by Korngold and Rozsa
Roughly speaking, each composer has 1/3 of the concert time (the "majors" have not the lion's share).

Alan Howe

Interesting. I'd particularly like to know what works by Hummel, Clementi, Arensky, Taneyev, Hahn, Glière, Korngold and Rosza have been chosen.

alberto

Here the complete programs:
1) F.X. Richter Symphony n.52
   F.Benda Flute Concertio in e minor
   Mozart Symphony k.183

2) Kozeluch Symphony in G minor op.22 n.3
    C.Stamitz Viola Concerto in D major op.1
    Haydn Symphony 88

3) Salieri Variazioni su la Follia di Spagna (BTW IMO a substantial work, heard in concert and on record)
    Hummel Trumpet Concerto
    Beethoven Symphony n.8

4) Clementi Ouverture in D major
     Krommer Concerto for two clarinets op.91
     Schubert Symphony n.4

5) Arenskj Variayions on a theme by Ciaicovskj
    S.Tanejev Duet on "Romeo and Juliet" for soprano, tenor and orch. (1894)
     Ciaicovskj Overture 1812

6) Hahn Le bal de Beatrice d'Este
    Honegger Cello Concerto
     Ravel Ma mére l'oye - suite

7) Holst St.Paul's Suite
     Canteloube Chants d'Auvergne selection
     Bartok Dance Suite

8) Malipiero Il finto Arlecchino
    Casella Scarlattiana
    Prokofiev Classical Symphony

9) Kabalevskj The Comedians suite
    Gliere Harp Concerto
     Stravinskj Jeux de cartes

10) Rosza Overture to a Symphony Concert op26a
      Korngold Violin Concerto
      Britten Variations and Fugue on a Purcell Theme

Jimfin

What a splendid idea! I went to a concert recently where Brahms' 2nd was followed by Akutagawa's 1st (the latter was much better performed, I felt)

alberto

I am now aware that the Milano season I have reported was the 2011/2012 one ( I read about the season in the booklet enclosed to a concert by the "Verdi" orchestra and chorus I attended to yesterday: BTW Berlioz youthful Messe Solennelle, certainly an unsung work).
Now I see thay "special" season 2012/2013. A little different, as the scheme is not always "one major-two less than major".
(for instance in the trio Roussel-Ibert-Poulenc, or in the trio Morton Gould-Rodrigo-Copland).
But the programs are still innovative.
For instance:
-  Auber Fra Diavolo overture and Ferdinand David Trombone Concerto flank Mendelssohn Sym. n.4.
- Schumann Introduction and Allegro Appassionato (itself non particularly performed) is sandwiched between Thomas Raymond ov. and Berwald Sym.Singuliere.
-Adam Si j'etais roi ov. and Volkmann Cello Concerto flank Bizet Symphony.
-Three Waldteufel waltzes (not Les Patineurs) and the Conus Violin Concerto flank Rimsky Capriccio.
- Sciostakovich 9 is flanked by Kachaturian Gayaneh Suite 3 and Arutunian Trumpet Concerto.