The power of music to console

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 04 March 2010, 11:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

As I am currently a bit under the weather (nothing serious!), I have been thinking about the power of music to console when times are hard. Over the last couple of days, Raff has certainly come to the rescue, especially Symphonies 2 and 4. So I was wondering why, and, of course, one has to say that these works in particular are full of such positive, sparkling music that they perhaps can hardly fail to lift one's mood. Mind you, I know that music can do the opposite too; in the summer of 2006, when I was going through a particularly harrowing period, I remember ordering Bischoff's 1st Symphony and finding that it actually made my black mood even worse. Usually, I am up for a challenge - even the occasional intellectual work-out (I recently bought a CD of the Violin Concerto and Symphony by Hugh Wood!!) - but when I'm down, either physically or psychologically, some music is definitely more helpful.

So, friends, what music - and let's keep it to the unsungs - lightens your mood or lifts your spirits? And if I've got it, I'll give it a try!!

petershott@btinternet.com

I'm sorry, Alan, to read you're under the weather - but console myself through your confession that it isn't too serious.

And you're spot on right (of course!) about the incredible power of music to console. It has this power above all the arts. And maybe Schopenhauer goes in the right direction to explain this (although it takes some generosity to embrace the metaphysical framework in which the idea is expressed): through music our ears are 'pressed to the heart-chamber of the world' and we throw off the shackles of the will, our own desires, conceptions and particular ways of thinking, worries, frustrations, preoccupations et al that, without music, condition our experience and perception of the world. Hence the fairly frequent reports of people that when listening to music (as opposed to just hearing it) 'time stood still', 'I felt taken out of myself' and so forth.

But whatever the explanation there is no doubt that - at least among friends on this site - it is this glorious music that has the power to detain us in life and thereby enable us to escape despair, worry, boredom, or even just going quite plain bonkers. Raff, or Hugh Wood, or maybe even Bischoff (but certainly not John Tavernor or Philip Glass!), it all has that significance for us. And how fortunate we are to have such music!

Warm best wishes to you and may your ailments be little ones,

Peter

Marcus

Get well Alan - we need you. Do not play any of Schnabel's compositions, or Sorabji's Opus Clavicemalisticum, or you may never recover.
Whenever I am ill, I invariably turn to piano music. I find Debussy's works particularly peaceful, but Schumann, Chopin, Beethoven etc will always re-energise me.
All the best,
Marcus.

Steve B

What a lovely idea for a thread, Alan! It is good to talk re emotion in connexion with music because that  is what it , primarily, and ultimately, is about. I hope you are better soon. Your thread was somewhat serendipitous for me, because having just had a very minor but slightly unpleasant medical procedure(mouth biopsy-probably nothing serious), and coming home to a neighbour shouting, i put on Coates's Saxo Rhapsody, which uplifted me, with its wild, abandoned and heartfelt passion and soaring saxophone.

Generally, in times of a down mood, I turn to Romantic piano concerti(often M. Ponti, naturellement!:) to lift me with his sheer exuberance and joyful playing.)
And. Peter Shott, i agree that music is the least referential of the arts(Pater and all that!)and that it transcends socially constructed limitations, and takes us into a realm of pure emotion and spirit. The way you put it was thoughtful and well expressed

Get better soon, Alan

Steve

Alan Howe

Very kind, all of you. Glad to find that the thread touches on important matters in people's lives. I don't know what I'd do without music sometimes...

Another "uplifter of spirits", as it were: Stanford.

Peter1953

O yes, music is emotion. It is entertaining, but very often it is about feelings. I posted my experience with Herzogenberg's 2nd movement of the Odysseus Symphony. So utterly emotional. Going through my list of music I've noticed how many pieces of music can make me feel triste, especially when I'm already feeling a bit down. Mostly very beautiful, touching music which I cannot live without. However, a lot of music by less sung composers written before 1830-50 is just for amusement and hardly influences my mood, like most music by Czerny, Hummel, Ries, Spohr and many others. Very pleasant to listen to, and I love to, but that's all. It just doesn't reach my heart.
But then the real Romantic era begins. Now I come to music that certainly can influence my mood. And I'm wondering why I love to listen to music that actually doesn't brighten me up. Because it's very serious? So moving? Not seldom when I'm a bit depressed I want to listen to music that enforces my feelings, as if it has to confirm how I feel at that moment. Psychologically perhaps a strange behaviour, but so be it. I can easily make a list of music that can bring me to tears, whether I'm feeling down or the music is so extremely touchy or sensitive, as I feel it.
Fortunately there is enough music that can cheer me up. Examples are the wonderful piano miniatures by Kirchner, Rufinatscha's Piano Quartets, especially the 1st, and certainly Raff. How about his heartwarming La Fée d'amour (op. 67), Ode au Printemps (op. 76) and the lovely Suite for Piano and Orchestra, op. 200?

Whatever you like to listen to, Alan, I'm wishing you all the best! Like Marcus said, we need you.

Amphissa

Alan, I'm sorry to hear you are ill.

As always, I'm the odd one out. The last thing I want to listen to when I'm feeling miserable is some jaunty, bright, happy music. I actually prefer music that is dark but finds resolution -- cathartic -- because it reminds me that it is a passing thing and that I'll be feeling better.

I usually turn to the Russians, especially Rachmaninoff and Myaskovsky, but also some of my favorite works by Chausson (Poème de l'amour et de la mer), Karlowicz (Eternal Songs), etc.

That's not a prescription, of course. Just a hope that, whatever music you choose, it makes your recovery period less uncomfortable.

Jonathan

Hi Alan,
Hope you are starting to feel better now following your musical medicine.  When I was in my teens and fed up with school etc, I used to listen to vast tracts of late Liszt.  It would make me feel so miserable that my mood would rebound and I would be happy again.
I personally enjoy really over the top mad things (like Gottschalk's Fantasie on the Brazilian National anthem) when I am feel a bit tired or lazy, this usually has the desired effect.  I also find very powerful orchestral music (usually played loudly and usually Bruckner) seems to help with this too.
As for specific anti-illness type music, Chopin Nocturnes calm me down and almost anything soft, calm & lilting would have the same effect.  Hmm, I think i will have to give this some more thought...

JimL

Sorry I couldn't get to a computer sooner, Alan.  By the time you receive this you'll probably be better already. :)

DennisS

Hi Alan

Just to add my best wishes also for a quick recovery. Hopefully you are now on the mend. I find when I am feeling down, it helps just to listen to favourite pieces of music in general, any music that I really love to listen to!

All the very best
Cheers
Dennis

JimL

Generally I listen to whatever I can and load up on TheraFlu.