Rosario Scalero: Violin & Piano music

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 17 January 2014, 22:51

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

I am very intrigued. I understood that Scalero was teacher of Barber, Menotti and Rota (and now I gather also of Foss of Rorem);
but in decades of concerts, and in his own city, I could never hear any music by him.

Gareth Vaughan

Fleisher has the complete score and all parts for the Op. 20 work. I see La Divina Foresta (Full Score) is in Library of Congress. It was published in Milan by Carisch so I expect there is at least one copy (maybe with parts too) in an Italian Library.

Gareth Vaughan

As I thought - Full Scores in Rome, Florence and Bergamo. Can't locate a set of parts yet, though.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Another of Scalero's students is a particular interest of Paul Rapoport's and was a prolific composer of string quartets (and rather good but not yet published ones, I gather). Can't remember the name offhand but hoping to find out more and see/hear some of those quartets. And very curious, yes, about Scalero's music, so thank you.

Alan Howe

The Violin Sonata, Op.12 turns out to be a richly romantic work in the style of Brahms - a most satisfying composition and an extremely beautiful one too. A really wonderful surprise (I wasn't expecting such a profound piece): definitely my chamber/instrumental music discovery of the year so far.