Re: Query: Unknown Orchestral Piece and Composer

Started by minacciosa, Friday 26 October 2012, 05:24

Previous topic - Next topic

minacciosa

semloh

This is:
VAN DIEREN - Elegy for Cello & Orchestra, Op.1 (1908)
Bunting/RPO/Fredman. (ex-BBC Radio 3, 18th Jan. 1976)  ;)

CorentinBoissier

Quote from: semloh on Friday 26 October 2012, 09:36
This is:
VAN DIEREN - Elegy for Cello & Orchestra, Op.1 (1908)
Bunting/RPO/Fredman. (ex-BBC Radio 3, 18th Jan. 1976)  ;)
No, it isn't this work (the unknown work is not an elegy and includes no solo cello part). Maybe it could be composed by the Australian-American composer George Boyle ?

semloh

Well, blow me down! You are quite right - I should have listened to it all the way through!

What fooled me was the fact that I downloaded the Van Dieren from UC, it's in my Dutch/Flemish/Belgian folder, and, by an amazing coincidence, it is also precisely 15 minutes and 13 seconds in duration! It all tied up perfectly .... except the music!!  ;D ;D

Back to the drawing board.

eschiss1

Is Elroel still around? It sounds a bit (from the descriptions and from its opening minute or so... ???) like some works that member uploaded to the Belgian works section that I never did download, and that are no longer available at Mediafire- if anyone did download them (e.g. Herberigs' De Nachtelijke Wapenschouw, perhaps one of Delvaux' Esquisses) and can compare them to this 15-minute work and say for sure... (though you say it's not an elegy...)

CorentinBoissier

Hello,

Enigma solved ! This file didn't come from Unsung Composers. It's a recording from a CD :
Lili Boulanger (1893-1918) :
- D'un soir triste (1918)
- D'un matin de printemps (1918)
Dir : Yan Pascal Tortelier

Splendid Diptyque, in a style close to Albert Roussel, Florent Schmitt and Pierre-Octave Ferroud !

Musically,

Corentin Boisssier

eschiss1

Is that the CD that also has Psalms 24 and 130? (... maybe not, maybe that's the CD that's coupled with Faust et Hélène...) I was at a Prom where Tortelier conducted Boulanger's settings of those two psalms (perhaps the same performances as on the CD), together with a late friend of mine.  Hadn't heard them before. Terrific stuff, especially the thrilling/stunning De Profundis. (As a reviewer in Fanfare, in a review of a disappointing- he said- recording of Novák's De Profundis, suggesting a coupling of the Novák, the Giannini and the Boulanger I think, had suggested was the case...) Anyhow, what I've heard of Lili Boulanger's foreshortened output suggests high quality, yes. (I hear good things about the few compositions her sister wrote when not teaching a generation or two or three of 20th-century classical and popular (e.g. Cole Porter, iirc) composers, also.)

Mark Thomas

As the recording comes from a CD, now that the music has been identified I have removed the link in the Downloads board.

semloh

I agree, Eric. I think both Lili and Nadia Boulanger composed music of high quality. The Marco Polo CD In Memoriam is certainly a bargain at $8 to download from Amazon!

The Wiki page for Lili has a link to the BBC R3 'Composer of the Week' archive, where there is a link to "listen on-line", which I excitedly clicked expecting to hear the announcer introducing Lili Boulanger's music. But no! It's just a link to what the BBC happens to be broadcasting at the time - in this case modern jazz. I should have known it was too good to be true!  ;D

eschiss1

Yes, whoever put that there could have used some idea how the BBC worked - all (once almost all - there was one Radio 3 program that was archived for a longer period... now all) those links now expire after a week or so. I'll remove it.