Just what you've always wanted...

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 10 February 2013, 09:32

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

from one of the Polovetsian Dances from his unfinished opera Prince Igor/Kniaz Igor. (I thought it was from his tone poem "In Central Asia" / "In the Steppes of Central Asia" / "В средней Азии" / "V srednyeĭ Azii" (1880, dedicated to Franz Liszt) but one of the themes from that now often-played work became the tune to a lesser-known number from the musical, in an about-face. Yes, we're branching off from the topic- into what, I wonder... but yes, I do apologize...)

eschiss1

I'm not a good example anyway, but I would hope that I haven't been the only person, or the only kind of person (I know that I have always had eccentric interests to begin with- again, not the best example), affected that way by their efforts. Admittedly I know the question has been how effective popularization efforts have been, and how best to do them, not whether they are ever effective at all and how their costs compare to their benefits...

TerraEpon

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 15 February 2013, 16:28
(There's often a thread at the back of my mind, of unsung music that would work so much better than either the new but poor music, or the sung, very good, but inappropriate to the given scenes, music that was actually used for the film. Oliver Stone's idea of using Barber's Adagio- not totally obscure at the time, but better known still after he used it in Platoon - comes to mind. Would it work for much less-known music of a certain "filmic" quality- maybe the concluding funeral march of Myaskovsky's 3rd symphony... - in an appropriately minatory, gloomy, sequence? Don't know. Apologies for tangent... I'd create a new thread instead but there's no future in the subject, I guess.)

Well, what's interesting about that example is that Georges Delerue wrote a perfectly appropriate piece of music -- clearly based on the Barber but not the same -- for that scene, but Stone got "temptrackitis" and decided to go with the Barber instead. One has to wonder if in an alternate universe the Barber is never heard in parodies of that scene and Delerue is used instead...

Alan Howe

...in paradise, eh? Clayderman hell more like...

Finn_McCool

Certainly Keith Jarrett does not belong in the same conversation with Richard Clayderman.  Jarrett, in his solo concerts, does not play soothing versions of popular pieces.  He improvises continually for an entire concert. What he comes up with is fascinating and not always soothing.  In his jazz trio, he does play versions popular songs, but the arrangements are loose and improvisatory.  There is excitement in the music, something that I don't think Clayderman is gonig for.   I cannot comment on Jarrett's forays into classical music, but I think the post that mentioned Jarrett was referring to his solo paino work, which can be romantic in nature (until he starts grunting!) and his audiences can be worshipful and adoring.   But I don't think he sounds like Liberace or Clayderman!