News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cornelius Gurlitt violin concertos?

Started by eschiss1, Monday 08 April 2013, 05:21

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

They're not listed in any worklist I see, but there are autograph manuscripts (listed by RISM) of one or two violin concertos, with opus numbers (op.70 or 171- same piece it seems, or two similar pieces??...) (suggesting they were at least considered for publication), by Cornelius Gurlitt (presumably the composer 1820-1901, not the art historian or someone else of the same name.) In some cases just the solo part may survive I think , not sure ? (e.g. RISM? - actually, correction, RISM2 has what may be a complete set of parts for the same G-major concerto, premiered Feb. 22 1893 in Altona. For those few with any interest in this mostly piano-centered composer, that he even wrote violin concertos is sort of intriguing, I myself hope they're good... I have no further access to the library at Kiel to get more of the work than shown there, though; anyone know more about this?... I may have asked already, apologies (though a search suggests otherwise, suggesting I may have had more sense hitherto :D )  (also a search shows a violin/orch. romanze in E-flat op.159...)

anyways. Thanks in advance if and as possible...

Alan Howe

Unfortunately Toskey doesn't mention him. Shame.