News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Sibelius parts

Started by fjones, Sunday 01 March 2015, 17:38

Previous topic - Next topic

fjones

Not exactly 'unsung' (Sibelius), but the early stuff is not all that well known. Anyone know how to get parts for the '33 small pieces' for string quartet (1888-1889)?

TerraEpon

I'd guess that the rule for any Sibelius composition without an Op. or JS number -- and even a good amount that DO have a JS number -- only exist in manuscript. I'm sure some things have been published in the last 10-20 years but something like this I would bet against it.

eschiss1

Worldcat.org (one good place to stop first!) shows that Edition Fazer has been publishing a number of these early works lately (e.g. the Lovisa Trio pub. in 1991, the suite in E major for violin and piano pub. in 1994; his Adagio in D minor for string quartet of 1890 was published by Fazer in 1997. They've also published the string trio, piano quintet, etc. The 33 pieces might be in manuscript though. Don't know...)

fjones

thanks - I know the Fazer/Warner Chappell/Fennica Gerhman catalogue (have got e flat  and a minor quartets). I suspect it is MS, but will try World.cat.

eschiss1

According at least to http://sibeliusone.com/jean-sibelius/js-numbered-compositions-by-jean-sibelius/ the 33 short pieces may have separate JS numbers (perhaps? and perhaps various numbers from the Adagio in F minor JS14 to the PiĆ¹ lento in F major JS149 - or maybe including, too, JS154 (1888) (presto in F) but I assume not including the more substantial theme and variation sets JS 195 & 197...) rather than being numbered as one group...

(Ah. No, according to Barnett (Sibelius, 2007), JS14 is part of a separate manuscript. It's not absolutely clear in fact from Barnett's description whether the 33 pieces -are- given JS numbers, though I think so. Will have to look into this further...)

TerraEpon

Nope, the 33 short pieces are its own thing, outside of all the singular tempo-marked pieces.
http://www.bis.se/index.php?op=album&aID=BIS-CD-1903-05 -- the first three discs is is all the known music for string quartet and you can see that the '33' are in addition to all the others.