Piano music by Anatoly Alexandrov

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 27 September 2013, 22:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Ah, I've been curious about this fellow for awhile (well, actually, we did have or do have his first symphony uploaded, I think- unfortunately it's the 2nd symphony my library has in score, so I can't provide the movement headers to that one I guess, or not so easily ) - there used to be an LP(?) with some of his ten-odd piano sonatas, which from scores looked- I think?... - more Prokofiev'an than Romantic per se, but I think I only skimmed them (and even if they were, I wouldn't have been put off anyway, I know...)

Anycase... I think it's good news, one way the other :) Thanks!

(Not to be confused with his namesake who composed a national anthem!)

eschiss1

Oh. I'm reminded by Worldcat that Hamish Milne recorded some of his music for Hyperion back in 2002. Has anyone heard that disc?  That contained his 6 preludes (op1), obsession passée (op6), piano sonatas 3 and 4 (opp 18 and 19), 3 studies (op31), two romantic episodes from op88 (nos.6 and 10), elegy and waltz op89, and visions op.110.

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes! It was this Hamish Milne disc which introduced me to Alexandrov - I bought it on the strength of reviews of Milne's performances, and have never regretted that purchase. Which means I'm also in the queue for the forthcoming Toccata disc. It should be a veritable stunner, and if it is the first of a Alexandrov series then so much the better.