Stanford: Complete music for violin and piano.

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 08 November 2013, 12:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

I thought there was supposed to be a 3rd sonata, even though it too might need reconstruction ... hrm.  Still, that's a nice impressive collection. I see that quite a few of those works may have only been published posthumously, even some with fairly low opus nos. (Sonata no.2).

Balapoel

Seems like it covers all that I have head of, except:
Violin Sonata No. 3, op 165/1 (1919)
Violin Sonata No. 4, op 165/2 (1919)

Perhaps they are lost?

eschiss1

Could well be. Rodmell does mention them in his 2002 book on Stanford on page 317- can't see that page in Google Books, does anyone have that book?
Even Op.70 only exists in one manuscript unless it's been published recently, I gather. Or something.
Hrm. Op.165/2 was performed by Miss Murray Lambert and Hamilton Harty on May 7 1919 @ Wigmore Hall, described by whoever was writing as "characteristic of the composer in merit, while tending to an unusually simple style" (Musical Times, June 1 1919, p.306).  Well, that explains the 1919 date, even if it is lost.

That said, MOLCAT (the British Library collection of Manuscripts catalogue) has a whopping huge number of entries under Stanford, Charles- I'll go look there.

matesic

The Charles Villiers Stanford Collection held in Newcastle University apparently comprises 75% of his works and occupies 9 linear metres of shelf space!

http://archiveshub.ac.uk/data/gb186-cvs

I asked permission of the Stanford Society to transcribe whichever of the 4 unpublished string quartets the collection might hold and put them into the public domain on imslp, but they turned me down - Jeremy Dibble's turf I guess.

eschiss1

erm... I don't know Professor Dibble (Mr. Dibble?) but it might be worth writing him about it, in my honest and uninformed opinion. (I'm trying to think of the "plus" for his being the only person allowed to typeset Stanford's unpublished manuscripts, if this is in fact the case- I can think of a few hypothetically, but I can think of some serious counterbalancing negatives.)