Carl Amand Mangold,Tanhäuser

Started by Derek Hughes, Sunday 17 November 2013, 18:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek Hughes

Mangold's Tanhäuser is to be performed in Annaberg next year: http://www.winterstein-theater.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=213&Itemid=435. I see that there was a performance in Darmstadt in 2006, but I can't find any link to a recording thereof. Does anyone know of one?

eschiss1

Not especially familiar but would like to be moreso; I'm intrigued... (thought I'd heard of him, but may not have, or not from the source I thought.  Tanhäuser, 1843-45, premiered Darnstadt 1846...

Apparently his oratorio "Abraham" (ah, this has been recorded...) was published the same year as Molique's, same opus number...)

(I see that he was a member of, or even in charge of, the Handel-Gesellschaft branch in Detmold, that some of his lieder are listed at the wonderful Lied, Art Song, and Choral Texts Archive... etc.) Hrm. Very brief en-Wikipedia article.

(LoC has one item (scanned I mean!) by C.A. Mangold, a song "The bird and the maiden" (probably not originally written in English) in a favorite-songs-of-Jenny-Lind edition (separately etc) I think, from 1850. It might be his song Op.21 No.5 according to recmusic.org -sort-of-maybeish, or it might be something else...)

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 18 November 2013, 01:56
Apparently his oratorio "Abraham" (ah, this has been recorded...) was published the same year as Molique's, same opus number...)

I have this recording.  (And know where you could find a copy secondhand, as of a week ago.  Provided you live in the DC area.)  It's not unattractive music.  I don't remember a note, but I remember finding it quite pleasant to listen to when I put it on.