Grieg/Finnissy Piano Quintet

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 04 January 2014, 05:01

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

Hmmm. I have the Grieg Piano Quintet listed as "fragments". Could be interesting, though his chamber music has never really spoken to me like his piano and orchestral works have.

eschiss1

- whereas for me my favorite Grieg work, personally, is probably the G minor string quartet, some qualities of which seem to have inspired- or are just suggested coincidentally - in some unsung/undersung quartets I like/am curious about (Stenhammar 4, Sinding A minor).  --- I assumed that this was another transformation of a well-known work for another medium (say, the piano concerto, quintetified) and didn't even click the link until the follow-up post (silly Eric), and now I am curious; maybe there is something there- at least, looking forward to reading about what was involved, and maybe hearing on the - erm, TV (radio? no local radio here...)

So... Thanks!

izdawiz

yes I agree  G  minor String Quartet is my favorite Chamber piece by Grieg, whom really didn't write much chamber works at all :'(,  the 3 violin Sonatas are also nothing to sneeze about either! Any Chamber Music by Grieg is most welcome! interesting find Alan! thank you!!

chill319

Most older completions of unfinished works were undertaken by composers rather than musicologists, and most are unsatisfactory because to complete the work the editor has relied on musical talent and taste rather than detailed study of the musical choices the original composer would have made at a particular point in their musical development (not a few years earlier or later). Among the happiest of the older completions, IMHO, is Julius Röntgen's work on Grieg's string quartet in F major.  This, I think is because, in addition to talent and taste, Röngen had intimate acquaintance with Grieg's musical thinking during the very period when the string quartet was sketched. For those who like Grieg and don't already have it, an old recording by the Raphael Quartet on Olympia includes not only the Quartet in F but also the exceptional Andante con moto from Grieg's unfinished C minor Piano Trio.