News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Emilie Meyer Symphony 7

Started by Richard Moss, Saturday 25 January 2014, 16:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

I was just looking up any 'web' details available on Mayer's Sym 5 (which I have just downloaded from e-music) when up popped a YOUTUBE link to a performance of her Sym 7?? Anyone any more info in this??

Best wishes

Richard

jerfilm

I see it's in f minor - am not at home so i can't compare it to #5 which is also in f minor.   Could it be a typo?

Jerry

britishcomposer

It's no. 5, so obviously a typo.

Balapoel

I have the following (from Groves, wiki, and elsewhere)

Symphony No. 1 in c minor (1847)
Symphony No. 2 in e minor (1847)
Symphony No. 3 in C 'Military' (1850)
Symphony No. 4 in b minor (1851) 37 min
Symphony No. 5 in D (1852) lost
Symphony No. 6 in E   (1853)
Symphony No. 7 in f minor (1856) 34 min   
Symphony No. 8 in F (1857)

Symphony 7 is mislabeled as 5 on this CD.
http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=1032887

britishcomposer

Well, then I have to say sorry.

Obviously some youtubers care to look beyond the sleeve notes. Which I did not.

jerfilm

Thanks for clearing that up.  I was obviously wrong about #5 being in f minor.   Since it's lost, I guess it doesn't much matter...... ;D

J

Gareth Vaughan

Ros Trubcher has produced a modern edition of the orchestral score of Symphony No. 6. I do not know where Mayer's MSS are or how much of her unpublished music survives. A "Faust" Overture for orchestra was published and the BL has a copy of the Full Score.

Mark Thomas

Meyer's Faust Overture and Piano Concerto can be downloaded from our own archive here, and her Fourth Symphony here.

Richard Moss

Thanks for the clarifications guys.  Having enjoyed the UC downloads and then the 'so-called' Sym 5 e-music download, what a pity this ISN't another treasure coming to the market. Ah well, que sera!

Richard

Gareth Vaughan

Many thanks for the links, Mark.

semloh

Just a pedantic observation .... I see that our downloads incorrectly referred to Mayer instead of Meyer.  For a moment there I thought I had missed out on a new Unsung Composer.  ::)

eschiss1

The only one of her symphonies that I know was published in the 19th century was her B minor symphony, and then only in a piano duet (I think) reduction (and given the wrong number, I believe, and as "Emilie Mayer"- indeed, that's the name I'm used to seeing her music published under; "Meyer" makes me think of several other composers, mostly a modern one who's still alive, from Poland.)

rosflute

Spelling was not standardised in Emilie's era, so it is not unusual to see it spelt with an 'a' or an 'e'.

Regarding the B minor symphony: Stefan Malzew re-orchestrated it and performed it with his Neubrandenburg orchestra