Pizzetti Cello Concerto on Sony

Started by alberto, Saturday 08 November 2014, 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

Maybe someone could be interested to the decidedly romantic Cello Concerto by Idebrando Pizzetti (albeit composed in 1934).
Sony has just released it (Silvia Chiesa, cellist; Corrado Rovaris conductor, Orchestra Sinfonica Nazionale della RAI).
The couplings are Casella Cello Concerto and Respighi Adagio con Variazioni.

semloh

Thanks for alerting us to this, Alberto. I don't know these works, but I love the two Naxos discs of Pizzetti's orchestral music, so I am looking forward to hearing the Cello Concerto.  ;)

alberto

If someone likes or loves (as I do) the piano concerto "Canti della Stagione Alta", in the Cello Concerto will find a very similar score (maybe a little diffuse, if not long winded, at about '38 timing).

Aramiarz

Dear Alberto
Thank you for your post and info! If remember right, few cello pieces (are there?) with orchestra there are in italian music romantic era

alberto

For cello and orchestra I know also the "Concerto Andaluso" by Zandonai (1934-same year as the Pizzetti) . The Zandonai also is late romantic (plus folkish elements); it is rather short, but appears to me much inferior in comparison with the Pizzetti.

alberto

The Chiesa / Rovaris recording of the Pizzetti lasts '32 "51 (I now have the Sony record and have just attended to a live concert by the same performers) : much brisker (and less effusive) than a 1962  performance by Mainardi and Giulini (which lasted '38 "04).

Aramiarz

Ok about Zandonai! In Tactus label released the triple Cd with music of several genres by Zandonai including the concert! Have You reason. I have this álbum  ;D

eschiss1

well, that's a bit of a digression- though an interesting one. Though a disk of Pizzetti's cello concerto, Zanella's Romanza for cello and orchestra, and the concerto by Zandonai might be neat...

Aramiarz

Dear Erick, good idea!! There are one recording in Tactus with piano&violín and piano&cello works by Zanella! Very interesting cd! I enjoy it! Where is the concert piece that you said?

eschiss1

don't know actually (it's in Zanella's Wikipedia-it article... hrm), will see if SBN lists it- Worldcat doesn't. Most of his output is for piano or small ensemble, though SBN lists a danza diabolica for "orchestrina" published around 1930 and a "Festa campestre (landfest) : bozzetto per orchestra" published by Schmidl in 1907... also "Due pezzi per orchestra : 1., Lacrymae Rerum ; 2, umoresca ", an Hymn-March ("Inno-Marcia") for singer and large orchestra, and a couple of operas (La Sulamita; Il revisore; Notte d'Incanti)  and there is this concertante work that was published though not listed yet (will fix that too, and the other omissions) @ Wikipedia-Italian :

Fantasia e grande fugato sinfonico a quattro soggetti : per orchestra e pianoforte , Op.25. :)

Aramiarz

Thank Erick! We hope that one day appear

alberto

The Pizzetti could have been (I don't know if it can be now, after the Sony recording) a good, even perfect, candidate for the Hyperyon Romantic Cello Concerto series. While much more diffuse, it is not far from the Pfitzner Cello Concertos; and fine as the latter are, the Pizzetti IMHO is finer.
No space in the "romantic" category for the Casella Concerto, which is neo-classical. The Respighi Adagio con Varizioni (not so unsung on record: Navarra, Maisky- the latter also on DVD- and others) is romantic and rare in actual performances.