Joseph Jongen: Chamber Music for Flute

Started by minacciosa, Tuesday 26 August 2014, 18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

ignaceii

Hello,
This is my first small contribution, having been touched by the many neglected composers I saw on youtubes UnsungMasterworks. Since then, I ask myself the question why there cannot be a social media wizzard under us to start a revolution against the standard repertoire, not against, but aside.
How public, musicians, listeners keep up with more than a century of ever repeating repertoire.

Ok. That is the reason. :). No Beethoven cycles but Ries and Raff cycles on stage...

Now, Jongen is a Belgian compatriot I am proud off.
Also very good, more even is, the young died Guillaume Lekeu.

But who wants to play Belgian classics. They do play Franck, perhaps thinking he was french.
Classical art is going through terrifying storms. Still good Trifonov dared to play Glazounovs 2nd pianoconcerto at the Proms. But the Chinese and Azian stampede won't make it easier. They are even further away from our intrests.

eschiss1

We have a broadcast of a work or two by François Rasse (Jr., I think? possibly Sr.) in our archives, some Vreuls, to name two, and music by other Belgians as well. Would be good to hear more of them more often, though.

ignaceii

Not to mention Varese, better known, Benoit, Lodewijk Mortelmans, ...
Apart from my Flanders compatriots all part of the famous Flanders School of polyphony, Ockeghem,
Josquin Duprez,...  We did far from bad later to.
Luckily I hear some Mortelmans, which is very good, on the radio sometimes...
Thanks for the info.
Nice to know.