Giuseppe Sinico 'Marinella'

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 11 November 2016, 16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

mikehopf

I got this CD set when it first came out a couple of years ago. It is a  hugely enjoyable opera, jam packed full of good , if somewhat " naif" , melodies in the bel canto mode with distinct Verdian  allusions.

The recording is actually a " cartone" - a sort of preliminary sketch - which , as the notes say " will have to suffice until a full blown theatrical edition comes along".

Interestingly, there is a connection between this opera and "Il Trittico" by Illersberg ( available on youtube ). in the fact that both are set in Trieste.

Talking of Illersberg, his first symphony is also on youtube. I found it quite enjoyable with rather simplistic " ear-worm" themes and even shades of  Strauss and Brahms.

Unfortunately, it is rather an old recording - from the 1920s or 30s, I'd guess.

mikehopf

BTW, Sinico was only 18 years old when he wrote " Marinella".

He wrote many more successful operas, such as " Alessandro Stradella"  & " Spartaco" which tended to be overshadowed by Verdi premieres.

Incidentally, the booklet refers to some contemporary operas described as" much rubbish, such as I Goti  by Stefano Gobatti  from Bologna" !

Now, there's an idea for a new thread: " Rubbish Operas".

Mark Thomas

I agree with your assessment, Mike. Maybe Donizetti on a poor day would be the closest comparison. That said, it's enjoyable, undemanding listening.

Alan Howe

Don't think I'll go for this, then...