BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

British Tone Poems Vol.1

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 19 January 2017, 16:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...forthcoming from Chandos:
https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%2010939

FREDERIC AUSTIN: Spring - Symphonic Rhapsody (1902-7)
WILLIAM ALWYN: Blackdown - A Tone Poem from the Surrey Hills (1926)
SIR GRANVILLE BANTOCK: The Witch of Atlas (1902)
IVOR GURNEY: A Gloucestershire Rhapsody (1919-21)
HENRY BALFOUR GARDINER: A Berkshire Idyll (1913)
RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS: The Solent - Impression for Orchestra (1902-03)
BBC National Orchestra of Wales/Rumon Gamba

semloh

Oh, now that is a disc worth having!  :)

Gareth Vaughan

Well, yes. Up to a point. Only the Balfour Gardiner has not been recorded before and I do have all the others in earlier (and very good) recordings. But for those who don't this will almost certainly be an enticing prospect.

TerraEpon

Considering the previous two British Overtures CDs, I'm sure this one will be just as enjoyable as those. I don't believe I have anything but the Bantock (not even the Vaughan Williams) so....

Gareth Vaughan

I am sure Gamba will deliver the goods.

Jimfin

This will be at least the third recording of the Austin, I believe. But it is quite a fine piece.

eschiss1

There's a new recording of Solent in a violin/piano version out, I believe? or that may be a new digital issue of a recording that's been out awhile. I'm not sure, have to double-check...??

Expi

Ebubu

"Vol. 1" allows us to believe there'll be a second volume at least.  One more good news !!  :)

Gareth Vaughan

How nice if Vol. 2 were to include something by Holbrooke: the "Wild Fowl Fantaisie" perhaps. Fat chance, methinks.  Bantock's "Macbeth" would be good too. Or something by Joseph Speaight: his family have scores and parts of his surviving orchestral works - which are pitifully few, alas.