News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Kate Fanny Loder 1826-1904

Started by giles.enders, Friday 08 March 2013, 11:07

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Kate Fanny Loder  Born 1.8.1826 Bath   Died 30.8.1904 Headley, Surrey

Daughter of flautist George Loder and sister of George Loder Jnr 1816-1850, and cousin of Edward Loder 1813-1865 both composers.  Kate's mother was Fanny Philpot, a leading piano teacher in Bath.
She initially studied under Henry Field and Miss Batterbury and subsequently at the Royal Academy under Lucy Anderson and Charles Lucas.  Gained King's Scholarship in 1839.  in 1844 she became a professor of harmony there.  After her marriage in 1851 to the eminent surgeon Henry Thompson later knighted, she became Lady Thompson.  Some of her piano music was published under this name. For the last twenty years of her life she was severely paralysed. She had a son and two daughters

Orchestral

Overture  1844

Chamber

Piano Trio in D minor 1863
String Quartet in G minor  1846
String Quartet in E minor  1847
Violin Sonata in E major 1847

Piano

Twelve studies  1852   pub. by Edwin Ashdown Ltd.
Three Romances  1853
Pense fugitive  1854
Little duets
Three duettinos  1869
Sonata No.1
Sonata No.2
'En Avant' galop  1863  pub. by Edwin Ashdown Ltd
Three duets
Mazurka  1899   pub. by Edwin Ashdown Ltd
Scherzo  1899   pub. by Edwin Ashdown Ltd.

Songs

My Faint Spirit, canzonet  words by Percy Bysshe Shelley  1854   pub. by Edwin Ashdown Ltd.
The Blind Boy  1873 words by T King
Where the Stout Nor-wester Blows  words by Miss M A Browne
Winter is Past   pub. by Edwin Ashdown Ltd.

Organ

Six easy voluntaries Set 1  pub. by Novello
Six easy voluntaries Set 2   pub. by Novello

Opera

L'Elisir d'Amore  1855

Jimfin

Fascinating: I had no idea she existed. Her cousin is little enough known to me, though the Bonynge recording of the Night Dancers overture has helped a lot. So many women composers are overshadowed by male surnamesakes: Avril Coleridge-Taylor, Fanny Mendelssohn, Imogen Holst, Alma Mahler, Clara Schumann...

eschiss1

And Olga von Radecki (Latvian-American pianist-American associated with Harvard) (1853-1933) by Robert Radecke (1830-1911) (no relation in this as in most cases, but unlike the ones you mention, I think) (Radecke slightly better known. ... I think. Actually, at that level of obscurity, maybe not. Radecke in turn with a composing/teaching brother Rudolf (1829-1893) somewhat less known... both choral conductors.)

giles.enders

On Saturday October 17th at 1 pm there will be the first modern performance of Kate Loder's piano trio in D minor, which was recently discovered in the archive of a Canadian university.  It will be performed in the Bathwick Parish Church, near where grew up.