Favorite concerto by a Liszt student

Started by lasm2000, Thursday 04 February 2016, 07:06

Previous topic - Next topic

lasm2000

Since I just mentioned the Bronsart PC in a different thread in which I was about to add "the Bronsart PC, which is clearly the best by a Liszt student" I recalled that I haven't really heard them all. My favorite, amongst the ones I've heard is clearly the Bronsart but the very germanic d'Albert (who sounds like a weird but interesting crossover of Brahms and Liszt) and the very muscular Sauer PC are also of significant interest.

Anyway, which is your favorite Piano Concerto composed by a student of Liszt? Please to refrain to just one.

Ilja

If we're talking about the one I personally enjoy the most, it's a tough choice between the Urspruch piano concerto and De Greef's First, but I'll go with the latter because of its successful combination of quirkiness and lyricism.

thalbergmad

As i grow older, i become more drawn to the later romantic style where the marriage betweem piano and orchestra is a more equal partnership.

Thus, i therefore need to look no further than the Stavenhagen Op.4, which i have admired for many years.

Thal

Ilja

... even though those two final notes of the piano never fail to crack me up. Talk about a display concerto.

alberto

I would propose the Sgambati concerto. It is rather symphonic , but the piano part is certainly virtuosic (BTW after the centennial from death in 2014 and some amount of focus on the composer, the Piano Concerto will be performed in some Italian city in the present year).

jimsemadeni

Karl Klindworth apparently mostly wrote piano pieces--doesn't look like any orchestral stuff except for his arrangement for piano and orchestra of Alkan's Concerto for Solo Piano Op. 39, recorded by Naxos. Since I love the piece as a piano tour-de-force, I also enjoyed the orchestral version a lot. My not having any way to judge its "quality", nor really caring, I just went with knowing what I like.
Interesting thread. Thanks, Jim

eschiss1

I don't know that I can pick a favorite, but his pupil (José) Vianna da Motta's concerto deserves a mention.

Ilja

Yes Eric, it does. But may I propose that his Fantasia Dramatica of 1893 deserves even more mention?