News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Gustav Bengtsson, quick note

Started by eschiss1, Monday 04 January 2016, 13:40

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

This isn't really important, and feel free to delete it.
Was looking into some music by Gustav Bengtsson, who died 50 years ago last year (a string quintet in A minor of his from 1907 can be downloaded in score and parts, its 2003 first publication, from IMSLP.) His string quartet of 1929 was uploaded here about 3 years ago. Just wanted to make a quick I-think-correction (yes, this is getting a bit PDQ Bach like- "that comma should be inside the quote mark, thank you") - the key given there was D major, but the published score (1955) and other sources all give G major (I'll listen to the download later and confirm one-way-the-other.)
Cheers and yours in dotting those sevenths and circling those fifths.

Last year was also the 50th death-anni of Joe Vic Ryelandt, of Inghelbrecht junior (the somewhat better-known one, not père; their works get confused a bit online, like the Raff brothers- see some posts about those guys elsewhere in these fora...), of a fellow named Varèse, 'mongst others, meaning that those folks, this year 2016, enter the Canadian public domain, and in 2036, the European.  Composers who died in 1945 will enter the EU public domain this year, generally speaking, until they change the laws as I'm sure they're about to do yesterday...

britishcomposer

I remember that you mentioned this fact before, Eric. Thank you! I tried to edit my posting of the quartet but as this download is now in the archive I can no longer make corrections. I see that there is a possibility to contact the moderators but this is only to inform them of "an abusive or wrongly posted message".
Perhaps Mark or Alan can make the correction?

eschiss1

I also wonder whether more of his music- 3 symphonies, concertos, are mentioned @ Wikipedia-De (German), e.g.- has been performed and broadcast, and what it sounds like :)
Thanks!

britishcomposer

A couple of years ago Swedish Radio P2 broadcast a two hour programme about Bengtsson. They played excerpts from the Sterling CDs and the String Quartet, also an excerpt from a live performance of his festival polonaise. I remember they mentioned that neither of the other orchestral works had been performed or recorded.

Mark Thomas

I'll make the correction when I get back home.

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

britishcomposer

QuoteI also wonder whether more of his music- 3 symphonies, concertos, are mentioned @ Wikipedia-De (German), e.g.- has been performed and broadcast, and what it sounds like :)
Thanks!

Eric, the Suite No. 1 for orchestra has recently been uploaded to youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syzZ2HDvLQc

BTW, we should spell his christian name with an "f". Apart from being the correct spelling this has the advantage of bringing more google results. ;)