BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Czerny String Quartets

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 03 March 2015, 07:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

Good news. One or two of his str. quartets have been recorded before, but I don't think these were they, and after all Czerny wrote almost two dozen string quartets* (most or all in manuscript/never published until very recently...)  Intrigued :)

*... ok, or so I assume from the number attached to one of them being "20" :)

Balapoel

Here are the ones I know about.  The last two (d minor and e minor) have been recorded on the Czerny Rediscovered album. The notes on this new recording say Czerny wrote 7, so here are 6 of them. Any more details would be appreciated on composition or publication date. I have the Rediscovered CD - so I'll check to see if these are the same ones, unfortunately only 2 of the 4 may be world premieres (contrary to the sleeve note).

String Quartet in D   1851
   String Quartet in C, 1849 in parts. is at Library of Congress   1849
   String Quartet in a minor      
   String Quartet in c minor edited by Bernhard Pauler from Sources/Manuscript and published by Amadeus-Verlag,      
   String Quartet in d minor      
   String Quartet in e minor      

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Links like that usually break if the part with the "phpsessid" (et seq.) is kept, because it's a "sess[ion] id[entifier]".

Alan Howe

No break in the link for me.....

eschiss1

My mistake! And nice sample.
(Enjoyed Czerny's A minor piano trio when I heard it at a Jupiter chamber concert in NYC a few months ago too. (Will be going to another, with music from WW2, in a few weeks...)
Enterprise that brings more of his underknown music is much appreciated :) )

sdtom

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 24 March 2015, 04:32
My mistake! And nice sample.
(Enjoyed Czerny's A minor piano trio when I heard it at a Jupiter chamber concert in NYC a few months ago too. (Will be going to another, with music from WW2, in a few weeks...)
Enterprise that brings more of his underknown music is much appreciated :) )

Am I to assume the Tyberg symphony will be played?
Tom :)

eschiss1

Not by the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players, it won't, unless, as with Beethoven's Eroica last I was there, they find a chamber arrangement of interest (almost contemporary with the work and uploaded to the Beethoven-Bonn website, in that case) to perform. The group is the followup group to the late Jens Nygaard's Jupiter Symphony, and follows his wishes that they not continue the orchestra (but they've continued his advocacy of unsung music, just for smaller forces.)

Unfortunately, no more Czerny from them this season, but still, works by Hans Huber (piano quintet Op.136, next week; also Gade and Mendelssohn), Ries (clarinet trio, + Beethoven and Dvorák - early April); the concert I'm going to isn't entirely about WW2- it's called "Despite Tyranny", with works by Meyerbeer, Adolf Busch, Erwin Schulhoff, Prokofiev and Shostakovich (on April 27).  May 4 has a quintet by Thuille; etc. ...

sdtom

There is more to this than meets the eye.
Tom

eschiss1

I should hope so... if music can be described by writing alone, why use music?

sdtom

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 26 March 2015, 01:44
I should hope so... if music can be described by writing alone, why use music?

An interesting concept. One imagines what the writer is describing and creates his own music to it.
Tom :)

eschiss1

Czerny quartets and other works (recordings, not live) have been broadcast lately in a series on Concertzender.