News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Arensky Arepertoire

Started by Glazier, Thursday 27 May 2010, 00:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Glazier

Now that we can get a better view of Arensky thanks to IMSLP (string quartets etc) what can we nominate as Arensky's  greatest hits?

I would suggest the second piano trio- the Romance is a treasure.

mbhaub

I've always been partial to Variations on a Theme by Tchaikovsky. And Egyptian Nights is very enjoyable, too.

Kriton

The wonderfully trite finale of his piano concerto!

Jonathan

I really like the first piano trio, the slow movement is so lovely.  I've just listened to the Suites for 2 pianos (the Hyperion recording with Stephen Coomb & Ian Munroe) and they really are rather good too.

jimmosk

Arensky's First Symphony is pure bombast, over-the-top-eyes-bugging-out as only Russians can do it -- not something you're always in the mood for, but useful to know about when you are.
His Second, on the other hand, is lovely and more delicately constructed, reminding me a lot of Kalinnikov. That one I recommend.
Also, the ballet Egyptian Nights is some of the most authentic faux-Tchaikovsky around.

-J

--
Jim Moskowitz
The Unknown Composers Page:  http://kith.org/jimmosk/TOC.html
My latest list of unusual classical CDs for auction:  http://tinyurl.com/jimmosk

FBerwald

I love his violin concerto. a very relaxed tchaikovsky feel it has... The valse movement is something I return to a LOT!!! Apart from his piano concerto the Fantasia on Themes of Ryabinin is nothing short of stunning.
There is also the Intermezzo in G minor for strings (A MUST for every Arensy lover!!!!!!!!!!!)

giles.enders

I would nominate his first piano trio.  I run chamber music concerts in London and it is one of the pieces which the audience have asked us to programme again.
Giles Enders

Jonathan

I've just bought a new Naxos recording of some of the piano works (http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//8572233.htm).  Not heard it yet but will let you know what I think when i have!

Gerontius

May I recommend the gorgeous and very beautiful Piano Quintet op. 51 in D Major of Arensky as played by Lilya Zilberstein and friends from the supurb EMI 3Cd box set of  Martha Argerich's Lugano Festival 2008. It is wonderful. :)

In fact, all 7 Argerich/Lugano Festival 3 CD box sets are treasures to savor. These EMI beauties won't around for much longer. In fact the earlier sets are scarce and hard to obtain. The series covers the years 2002-2009 and they are highly recommended.

How many of you have heard these Argerich/Lugano EMI boxes? Have you obtained any? If you have not, you should. :)

Kriton

Quote from: Gerontius on Sunday 01 August 2010, 23:58
In fact, all 7 Argerich/Lugano Festival 3 CD box sets are treasures to savor. These EMI beauties won't around for much longer. In fact the earlier sets are scarce and hard to obtain. The series covers the years 2002-2009 and they are highly recommended.

How many of you have heard these Argerich/Lugano EMI boxes? Have you obtained any? If you have not, you should. :)
I agree that they are beautiful! I have the entire collection, apart from the first cd (not in a box) with the 1st Mendelssohn trio and the Brahms sonata for 2 piano's - rather frustrating. Funny enough, over the years the series does seem to aim for some sort of "completion" when it comes to the piano chamber music of Mendelssohn and Schumann. Apart from that, the Russian chamber music is great as well, I find my favourite recording of the Taneyev piano quintet in this set.

But... 2 different recordings of the Glinka piano sextet? That's a bit of an exaggeration... That said, it's this series that made me appreciate Martha Argerich: I never thought very highly of her as a soloist (especially not in Schumann...), but as a chamber musician she rules!