Goltermann & Jeral Cello concertos

Started by gentile, Wednesday 21 July 2010, 19:54

Previous topic - Next topic

gentile

Cello Concertos by Georg Goltermann (1824-1898) and Wilhelm Jeral (1861-1935) have been coupled on a recent CD (XXI-CD 2 1605).
The German composer Georg Goltermann was well known as cello virtuoso during the second half of the 19th century. Today, he is only familiar to cello players through a few short encore and study pieces but he wrote as much as 8 cello concertos. The one played here is number 3 in B minor  Op. 51 (wrongly listed as Op.57 in the back cover). Anyway, it is different from the only other Goltermann concerto already issued on CD (number 2 in D major Op.30) and, thus, this performance is justly claimed as a World premiere recording on CD". The concerto is a pleasant one, written in a early-romantic style, but (as is the case of the works of other cello virtuosi such as Duport, Romberg, Popper, Franz Neruda, ...) it is not an ambitious or substantial work.
Somewhat more interesting is the concerto of the Czech Wilhelm Jeral, an obscure, nowadays totally forgotten, romantic composer. He was also a cellist, playing as first cello at the Vienna Opera orchestra under Gustav Mahler. At that position he came in direct competition with Franz Schmidt. The story is told by Schmidt himself in his Autobiographical Sketch (an English translation can be found in H. Truscott "The Music of Franz Schmidt. Vol 1: The Orchestral Music" Toccata Press). After retirement of an older first cellist, Schmidt used to play the orchestral solos as an interim section leader. However, when the position was officially assigned, it was shared by Jeral and one Buxbaum (according to Schmidt, this was a result of the intrigues of Arnold Rosé, the orchestral leader and brother-in-law of Mahler). Even if Mahler seemed to prefer Schmidt's playing, he condescended in order not to come in conflict with Rosé. All this embittered Schmidt. At a certain rehearsal of "Die Walküre" Mahler was dissatisfied with Jeral and Buxbaum performances and asked Schmidt to play the solos. Schmidt refused to do so unless he was promoted to the principal position on the spot. Mahler raged in anger rejecting Schmidt's pretension, and the relation between the two great composers became strained ever after.
Jeral's Cello Concerto Op.10 is written in a more advanced romantic idiom than Goltermann (but, nevertheless, fairly more conservative than Mahler or Schmidt). Most moving is the central Adagio with a beautifully serene melody. The first movement is in a somewhat pastoral mood and the last one is a tarantella.
Scores of both concertos (in reduction for cello and piano) can be downloaded at IMSLP.
The sound and performance are very good and the CD rounds off with an orchestral piece: Hugo Wolf's Corregidor Suite (arranged by Hans Gal). This disc is a true rarity.

eschiss1

There may be "sort of" an (orchestral) recording of no. 4 too, actually- it's not clear. http://www.dowani.com/shop/index.php?A=O&ID=122

JimL

Can you provide a link to where the CD is available?  Or is it still unavailable?

eschiss1

Hrm. Jeral, a friend of Neruda's, was responsible for the posthumous publication of Dvorak's 1879 cello polonaise, apparently (the one themes from which show up in the C major quartet too.) http://books.google.com/books?id=AXt9-iTHX8YC&pg=PA9)

The performers on the Goltermann/Jeral CD are the Extremadura Symphony Orch., Jesus Amigo, and cellist Orfeo Mandozzi. The coupling is Wolf's suite from Corregidor. This from an eBay listing of someone selling it (16 days left on the bidding.) I have no idea what the label is or where a new copy can be purchased.
Eric

gentile

The CD is already available in shops (at least in Spain). Here are two links where the CD can be purchased on the web:
http://www.diverdi.com/tienda/detalle.aspx?id=42796
http://www.clicmusique.com/goltermann-jeral-wolf-concertos-pour-violoncelle-mandozzi-amigo-p-4397.html?language=en
The CD has been issued by a Canadian label called "XXI". It has a website (http://www.xxi-21.com) but it is still under construction.

peter_conole

Hi all

Gentile, you are a true gentleman. WELCOME!

That is one of quickest CD orders I have ever made. I was faster than a speeding bullet... Incidently, I have always found Spanish distributors to be prompt and well-organised.

The Dowani recording is of cello concerto no 4, op 65 - dating from 1871. It is with orchestral accompaniment. No details to hand.  I recommend it though - a simple, melodic work intended for vthe composer's students. A lot of charm.  No 3, with luck, will be of equal appeal.

regards
Peter

peter_conole

Hi all

The disc is a knock-out. The Goltermann concerto dates from the 1860s. The Jeral concerto in a minor is of 1899 vintage. Both substantial pieces and welcome additions to our fairly meagre 19th century romantic cello concerto repertoire. Clic Musique! were very efficient a la packaging and despatch.

regards
Peter

Mark Thomas

Whilst the Goltermann is a very pleasant, but rather safe, work, the Jeral is a real find. It's not only excitingly virtuosic, but it's musically substantial. There is real drama in the piece and a proper dialogue between the soloist and the orchestra. OK, it's not Dvorak, but it's streets ahead of many of the shallow soloist-composed vehicles of its time.

Richard Moss

While checking out the info for the 'Jeral' CD, I found a link to YOUTUBE for extracts of it being performed by Orfeo MANDOZZI (the soloist on the CD).

That then also gave an interesting link to extracts by the same soloist for a Cello conc #1 by Daniel van Goens (1854-1904) - another promising (nice, even if not great) unknown??

Anyway, here's the linlk if you're interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-f8qkwd_U4&NR=1

eschiss1

van Goens' name I think I recognize from a series of Dutch cello sonatas that Fr. v. Ruth and Doris Hochscheid have been doing on the Audiomax label (the v Goens is on volume 2, with Rontgen's already-recorded 2nd sonata.)

jerfilm

jerfilm

Forgot one thing, I have an older broadcast performance of Goltermann's 2nd cello concerto in d on reel to reel tape. 

Alan Howe

Welcome to the forum, Jerry!
Alan Howe

Alan Howe

The Jeral CC is certainly a very lovely work. As Mark indicated, it is not Dvorak, but the constant flow of Romantic melody is an absolute delight. The CD is worth having for this piece alone.