News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hyperion Catalogue

Started by giles.enders, Thursday 26 August 2010, 12:17

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

For those who are interested, the new Hyperion catalogue, 2011, is now available.  For me this is the best of all cd catalogues.  A bi annual treat giving many hours of pleasure.  If you want one, go to the Hyperion website and request it.  They are free which makes it even better.

Pengelli

I like the emi one,better.
Only joking. Years ago I used to regularly send off for catalogues via ads in Gramophone & wait for these big packages to drop through the letterbox. Some of them quite big,to say the least. Back then even some of the major labels were worth looking at. Also,in a small village like I lived in,these catalogues & mail order lists were,Gramophone Magazine.aside you're main source of information. In a way,it was more exciting really,everythings just churned out & thrown out at you these days. If you'd actually heard Havergal Brian or Cyril Scott,(for example),it was like being a member of some secret society! I remember the shock when Forlane brought out that 3 Lp box set,'Masters of the English Musical Renaissance'. Now of course,every small record label seems to be churning out the stuff. Not that I'm complaining of course.
Other catalogues full of rare wonders included Collets,the Russian Record Company & Michael G Thomas,which sold some rather dodgy labels of repertoire unavailable elsewhere,including the infamous Aries label.
I also used to get allot of s/h Lp's from the excellent RMR Records. They saved me a small fortune.
Have to say,though,that Hyperion have never been my favourite label. I'm more of a Chandos buff myself! Although Dutton & cpo come extremely close,to say the least. There are so many exciting small labels out there.

Alan Howe

Is there anything of interest in the way of upcoming recordings in Hyperion's 2011 catalogue?

sdtom

I would be interested in the link to obtain the free catalog.
thomas :)

Mark Thomas

Just send an email to: info@hyperion-records.co.uk with the subject "Catalogue Request" and remember to put your address in the body of the email.

sdtom

Thanks Mark. For some reason outlook doesn't work anymore on my computer. I just cut and paste and send out a regular e-mail and of course that works perfectly.

Mark Thomas

Alan wrote:
QuoteIs there anything of interest in the way of upcoming recordings in Hyperion's 2011 catalogue?
The main item is the Cliffe Violin Concerto, coupled with D'Erlanger's Concerto and a Poeme for violin and orchestra. Graffin's the soloist, of course, with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted by Lloyd-Jones. There's also a CD of Benjamin Dale's piano music, including the Sonata, and the next CD in Hyperion's Spohr symphonic cycle couples Nos. 8 and 10 with an overture to Der Zweikampf. An upcoming RPC series issue couples Reger's Piano Concerto and Strauss' Burleske, but I think we knew that, didn't we?

Pengelli

Oh dear,must have had the grumps! Hyperion are wonderful,actually. I keep drooling over those Spohr symphonies.

albion

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 27 August 2010, 17:17
The main item is the Cliffe Violin Concerto, coupled with D'Erlanger's Concerto and a Poeme for violin and orchestra. Graffin's the soloist, of course, with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted by Lloyd-Jones.
Great news about Frederic Cliffe's Concerto - it is a great pity that he gave up composition in 1905 as his very slender output of six substantial works contains some superb music. One of the few pupils of Arthur Sullivan (along with Eugen d'Albert) to make a name for himself, Cliffe is the epitome of the 'unsung' composer. The performance of the first Symphony on Sterling, fine though it is, is slightly hampered by a cavernous acoustic but a recording of Symphony No.2 (from whatever source) would also be very welcome indeed!