News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Brahms' "3rd PC"?

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 12 December 2009, 21:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

It's a curiosity only and will, I predict, die a death - as it should.

Peter1953

Kriton

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 30 April 2010, 14:05
It's a curiosity only and will, I predict, die a death - as it should.
Perhaps you are right, I would've said on Thursday - but yesterday I bought the wretched thing, and now I have to say: you're probably right.

Let it die an unnoticed death now, so that in 100 years our musicologists of then will dig up the piece and pronounce it an unsung rarity from the previous (from their point of view) turn of the century.

"For I am full of it", and not ashamed of that one bit. What a lovely idea, what a lovely transcription! I think it might go wrong if you take all too seriously, and I have to admit: it is rather tasteless to print "Piano Concerto No. 3" on the cover.

If the piece sounds not fully Brahms to some people, that is because they know the originals (the VC and both PCs) too well. I'm not going to propagate my views on transcription here, because I've done that already elsewhere on this forum. I am going to say that I can recommend this CD to anyone interested in music off the beaten path, Brahms, and piano concertos.

And now I'm going to apologise for digging up an old topic from the vaults of this forum and saying something that's probably not even very interesting... ;D

Alan Howe

No apology necessary, I'm sure. You have summed it all up pretty well...