Borodin Mlada Finale

Started by chriss, Wednesday 15 July 2020, 15:55

Previous topic - Next topic

chriss

The "Guide to the Soviet All-Union Radio Committee Collection" contains a recording of the Finale by Boris Khaykin conducting the Leningrad State Philharmonic Orchestra:

https://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt0w1035dp/entire_text/

That must be the source for this recording on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1wu4iou3e8

MartinH

I enjoyed this very much. Sounds like a soundtrack to a B-grade horror film from the '40s or '50s. I like at around 3:50 the clarinet plays a tune that seems a great fit for the overture Glazunov wrote. Any one know if a score of this is available anywhere?

eschiss1

Christopher

Quote from: MartinH on Friday 17 July 2020, 19:22
I enjoyed this very much. Sounds like a soundtrack to a B-grade horror film from the '40s or '50s. I like at around 3:50 the clarinet plays a tune that seems a great fit for the overture Glazunov wrote. Any one know if a score of this is available anywhere?

Which Glazunov overture?

Mark Thomas

Glazunov composed the Overture for Borodin's Prince Igor as part of the reconstruction and completion work which he and Rimsky-Korsakov did on the unfinished score after Borodin's death. I think the story goes that Borodin once played it through to his friends on the piano and Glazunov composed it from memory, having heard it just that once several years before.

MartinH

That's the story, and then I read later that Glazunov admitted that he just made up the overture. Who knows.

MartinH

Thank you eschiss1 - that's it. It's not filed under Borodin - they should at least cross reference it there! Next time I conduct a Halloween concert I'm programming this!

Mark Thomas

QuoteI read later that Glazunov admitted that he just made up the overture
Yes, I read that somewhere too. Either way, it's a damn fine overture.

eschiss1

IMSLP has multiple tabs under composers. Don't just look under the first one :) Click "Collaborations" on the Borodin page.

Collaborations containing Borodin's Input (always worth checking the collections and collaborations tabs for what you're looking for!)