Henrique Oswald Violin Concerto (1899)

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 04 August 2020, 11:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Just spotted this YouTube performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqa837LRsaQ

Not great sound, but try the music...

Martin Eastick

This must surely be one for Hyperion to consider - hopefully accompanied by another late romantic South American concerto!

semloh

Well, Hyperion recorded his Piano Concerto in G minor so yes, maybe they will consider this too.

matesic

Alan Howe

matesic

It does possess a certain distinctiveness and charm in the orchestral writing; if asked to guess the nationality I might conceivably have gone for the Americas although I don't hear much Latin. And I also don't sense much love or commitment from the soloist. I felt a bit queasy during the lyrical passages of the slow movement, a bit like my old SP25 turntable. When Brahms ends his VC with three big D major chords you get the feeling you've arrived somewhere, but Oswald's are apparently to tell you it's finished and you can start clapping now.

eschiss1

This is 1899. Far as I gather, "Latin American music" , like "Northern American music", from the 19th century is often by German-area-trained composers and rather sounds it , not like Copland or Ponce or Villa Lobos, etc. and this shouldn't surprise...

matesic

Certainly not, its Germanic roots are obvious, but can you detect something individual in embryo?

Revilod

Easier to follow than the piano concerto and enjoyable though, on a single hearing, I wouldn't say it's its equal. The syncopated melodic writing in the first movement seems to be characteristic of the composer.  Wikipedia says it dates from c 1888, not 1899.