Raul Koczalski - Piano Concertos 5 & 6

Started by markniew, Sunday 22 September 2019, 21:08

Previous topic - Next topic

markniew

Acte Prealable announces recording of the Piano Concerto no. 5 by Raul Koczalski.
http://www.acteprealable.com/index.html
"Raul Koczalski – once again (Słupsk, September 13th 2019). As I have mentioned before, I won't rest until Koczalski's entire creative output is discovered. There are many who are helping me in my endeavour. The first person helping me is the tireless artistic director of the Polish Pianism Festival in Słupsk, Jap Popis, who included the premiere of Koczalski's Piano Concerto nr 5 in the festival's program."

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks for the link, but I see no announcement of a recording (though I have no doubt Acte Prealable will make one), only a mention of the premiere performance.

Mark Thomas

Sorry to be a mite negative, but I've found that my enthusiasm for Koczalski has waned with each release. I don't hear much originality or individuality in his music. For me the initial attractiveness of his idiom becomes a bland sameness which palls on repeated hearings.

Revilod

I have to agree with Mark. My heart doesn't race at the prospect of another recording of a Koczalski piano concerto....unless the fifth includes another movement as captivating as the slow movement of the first.

Alan Howe

I think the implication is that there will be a recording; after all, the pianist's the same as before - Joanna Ławrynowicz.

Sharkkb8

The recording is now announced - on Acte Prealable's "Coming Soon" page.

http://www.acteprealable.com/albums/soon_ap0503.html

Elsewhere on their site (note that the recording was finished....yesterday):

On October 15th 2019, we have finished recording the 5th and 6th Piano concerto by Raul Koczalski. After the 1st and 2nd in 2017, 3rd and 4th in 2018, it was time for the 5th and 6th. Just as before, I entrusted these works to the fantastic, unique, phenomenal pianist Joanna Ławrynowicz. Would anybody else have undertaken this challenge?! For the second time, she was accompanied by the Symphonic Orchestra of Lublin Philharmonic, conducted by the charismatic conductor and director Wojciech Rodek. I am extremely thankful to all the artists who took part in this recording.
Raul Koczalski's works, until recently completely ignored, thanks to these incredible artists will finally reach music lovers all over the world. It is worth mentioning, that Koczalski is perhaps the only Polish composer who composed six piano concertos. Even amongst the composers from every other country, there are few who could show a similar or bigger output.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

PC5 may be the best of the bunch - although I haven't yet listened to PC6. Both are 30 minutes long and in four movements, by the way. The great tune in the finale is absolutely breathtaking. Glad I ordered this...

edurban

Breathtaking?  Darn, now I have to order it😁!

Alan Howe

PC6 is gorgeous from start to finish. I'd say this was definitely the best CD in the series. OK, so Koczalski isn't Rachmaninov, but at his best he gives rather more than moderate pleasure - as here.

Alan Howe

...and now I'd say that PC6 is actually the best of the lot. A lovely CD.

emi122

musicweb-international.com/Acte_Prealable/Catalogue_Acte_Prealable_2013.htm

can someone tell me how to buy cd from this site. i have never bought it on this site. is de cd delivered can be tracked or not. i am now in Asia.

Mark Thomas

I've just bought the CD there myself. To buy, just click on the "Add to Cart" button to the right of the CD description. Pay via PayPal, so you'll be protected if there's a problem. You'll receive a confirming email immediately and delivery to the UK is usually very prompt (it'll be mailed from Poland). I don't know about tracking.